Were to go from here with my olive tree?

r_g

Seed
Reaction score
Hi all,

First post here.

My Olive Bonsai had a plague but I managed to save it and now its growing quite fast... Old leaves have fallen and new ones have grown quite fast sideways. Branches seem to be extending a lot.

Should I trim it or just let it grow free?

Thanks IMG_2004.JPG

Many things to say here.
1. Assuming by the reported strong growth currently, you are in the northern hemisphere. You can add your general location/region/country to your profile so that you will get the best advice for your climate.
2. Bonsai are not houseplants, so they will survive and usually thrive outside, whereas trying to grow them indoors usually results in their death (your photo is taken in a bright and sunny indoor area, where outdoor conditions are much better for a tree).
3. Rely on the experience available here. In most threads discussing this, there are several things to do before your tree begins its bonsai journey. First rule of bonsai (maybe?) is to start with a healthy tree. Once you figure out how to keep your trees alive and vigorous, then you will be ready to move on to the more advanced steps, and then the next. And the next.
4. Don't just take my word for it; I'm a beginner, too. I'm repeating what I've learned, both from reading and from doing.
Welcome to the NutHouse! Get ready for a science-meets-art joyride!

Reactions: r_g
Many things to say here.
1. Assuming by the reported strong growth currently, you are in the northern hemisphere. You can add your general location/region/country to your profile so that you will get the best advice for your climate.
2. Bonsai are not houseplants, so they will survive and usually thrive outside, whereas trying to grow them indoors usually results in their death (your photo is taken in a bright and sunny indoor area, where outdoor conditions are much better for a tree).
3. Rely on the experience available here. In most threads discussing this, there are several things to do before your tree begins its bonsai journey. First rule of bonsai (maybe?) is to start with a healthy tree. Once you figure out how to keep your trees alive and vigorous, then you will be ready to move on to the more advanced steps, and then the next. And the next.
4. Don't just take my word for it; I'm a beginner, too. I'm repeating what I've learned, both from reading and from doing.
Welcome to the NutHouse! Get ready for a science-meets-art joyride!
Many thanks for the reply.

The tree is actually outside.. its a balcony. I live in Portugal, so Olive trees love it here :)

Nice, that IS a perfect climate for olive. The best advice I can give is to comb through older threads. There are a number of olive threads that just might answer your questions. There are a few "universals" for bonsai, but it seems specific care for a species is far more common. I wish you the very best success with your tree. Hopefully you will get some good advice from some of the more experienced members here.

Reactions: r_g
Nice, that IS a perfect climate for olive. The best advice I can give is to comb through older threads. There are a number of olive threads that just might answer your questions. There are a few "universals" for bonsai, but it seems specific care for a species is far more common. I wish you the very best success with your tree. Hopefully you will get some good advice from some of the more experienced members here.
many thanks for taking the time for my topic. I will do as suggested.

take care

What are your goals for the tree? Consider a larger pot for a few years to thicken the trunk. To me the beauty of an olive is in the trunk.

Think about the shape you wish the tree to have ultimately. Do you like the straight trunk? If so, keep it. If not, trunk chop to introduce movement. A healthy olive can take a serious beating and come back swinging. If you put it in a bigger pot, it will grow faster as others have said. There are advantages and disadvantages to this. Again, it depends on what you're aiming for.

If you like the current trunk then focus on the branches. Do you like their shape and angle where they come off the trunk? Remove the ones you don't like. It's fairly easy to get an olive branch to change direction. They produce new growth from the base of leaves, so cut back to a leaf pointing in the direction you want a new part of the branch to grow.

Olives are very forgiving and great for learning with. Try cutting back a branch or two and see how it responds. You'll get the hang of shaping it quickly. But it's good to have an idea in mind of what you want it to look like eventually. Otherwise it's hard to know what to do. Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom