Wei's scots pine - in development

WEI

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
The more I engage in bonsai, the more I appreciate working with different trees and styles. this little literati/bunjin Scots pine is my first foray into pines and one of two trees that I brought home from my first convention experience at Bonsai Central (amazing event and kudos to the organizers). the other tree was a larger cork bark JBP I worked on with Mauro in a workshop, which I'll cover in a separate thread.

I've styled nursery stock juniper as literati, but none felt particularly satisfying or interesting to look at. with each of those, I simply tried to mimic a picture of 'lightning-struck / [insert adjective] thin scraggly tree' with the material I had. that was the wrong approach, as was expecting that style to pair well with nursery stock. so when I was browsing the sales area and saw this (only 12-year-old?) pine and its potential, I decided I needed to approach styling differently. I had a few profound sources of inspiration:

IMG_6350.jpgIMG_6353.jpgIMG_6354.jpeg

my late grandfather was an acclaimed calligrapher whose work won national awards, and I'm fortunate to still have some of his writing both in scrolls as well as in books he published that were passed down to me. his calligraphy's placement and alternation between thin and heavy strokes provoke a fleeting, disjointed-yet-connected tension. the characters reminded me of another book in my possession whose language was assembled entirely from ink-covered insects, worms, and bugs moving on paper. I sought to capture some of that tension. those two sources, alongside michael hagedorn's blog post on 'savor' in bunjin, guided my vision.

unfortunately, I think I morphed the tree into a relatively 'standard' form, literati-wise. while it's now the tentative favorite of my collection, the work didn't quite match up to the inspiration. perhaps the upper half could bend a lot more radically; I don't 'puzzle' that much when I look at the tree. it doesn't invite me to explore for very long. here's the before and after:

IMG_6237.jpgIMG_6348.jpg

a closeup of the foliage...

IMG_6335.jpg

and the trunk base. it's got a nice flair, and the bark lends character.

IMG_6338.jpg

all that said, I'm satisfied with my first genuine attempt at literati. this tree will be repotted next spring into a nanban after it regains vigor. once it's ready for a show, I'll incorporate some of 'nature's calligraphy' into the formal display - would be an interesting story to tell.

Last edited:
That's a nice composition with a scroll and tree. Literati is not easy to achieve, and you have done this one justice.

Reactions: WEI
Nice little tree.
Very good start

I like where it ended up. I think it can be improved, but its definitely a good first attempt. Now "puzzle" over how to make it better. Consider pushing it more off-center and getting rid of the gentle, elongated s in the middle, along with that additional movement in the apex you alluded to.

I like where it ended up. I think it can be improved, but it’s definitely a good first attempt. Now "puzzle" over how to make it better. Consider pushing it more off-center and getting rid of the gentle, elongated s in the middle, along with that additional movement in the apex you alluded to
definitely things to consider… the literati bug bit me and I just bought another pine to work on

Nice job!

Almost think the style would benefit if eventually the the top y (two branches at the same spot) were removed and the lowest branch was stalled. (Can’t say much about the second branches up from the bottom as the image is 2D.)

The s curve is a bit distracting, yet may soften over time.

Love to see it develop over a couple years.

Cheers
DSD sends

Back
Top Bottom