Weeping willow madness

Ali Zia

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi, I live in Toronto and right now the temperatures are between 9 and 0. Right by my university there is a big pond with a huge weeping willow right beside it. Beside the weeping willow there are all these very very young weeping willows. I have a few questions about them? I have never collected trees. I am very new to bonsai.

1.Can I collect one and bring it home?
2. When is a good time to collect one?
3.What should I look for when collecting it the tree?
4. When is a good time to take a cutting from the main big weeping willow?
5. Is there somewhere I can learn about this more in depth?

Thank you all in advance.

1. wrong time of year
2. spring
3. research good native tree species.... it will give you something to do over the winter.
4. don't, weeping anything is a poor choice at best and birches are "challenging" for the very exoerienced.
5. you're on the right web site, but research the net... you have the luxury of having a bonsai club right in your town... so speak to someone there; its a lot like a 12 step program, you ask someone who's been there, you don't listen anyway and do your own thing, fu#& up, then you go back and ask them the same questions all over again... even then, you're likely to screw up again... time, and time, and time again.... thats bonsai, AND it's part of being human.

Hi SKbonsaiguy, thanks for your fast response. I have read that weepinh willows are really easy to propogate from cuttings since they develop roots fast. is that true?

We lost a big weeping willow in a storm this past summer. Just for the hell of it, I stuck some branches in a vase of water, and they developed roots quickly. I planted them in the yard, don't know if they'll make it through the winter, but gave it a shot. I have also added a cutting from our other willow tree to some hibiscus cuttings in water, supposed to help them root quicker.

1.Can I collect one and bring it home?
2. When is a good time to collect one?
3.What should I look for when collecting it the tree?
4. When is a good time to take a cutting from the main big weeping willow?
5. Is there somewhere I can learn about this more in depth?

1.You should ask first.
2.Spring would be best.
3.For Willow seedlings I would look at health and then taper.
4.I am taking cuttings from my Willow in 2 weeks or so when the leafs start to drop.
5.You just did!

I might add that many have mixed feelings on Willows in general for Bonsai for various reasons. In my climate I have not had problems in the past though so certainly give it a try. If they grow for you in your area you will find them to be robust and an inexpensive tree to learn a LOT of things with. :)

Grimmy

I took one weeping willow cutting last year, stuck it in a jar of water.
It rooted well, but it didn't survive the transfer to soil.
So yes, they root easily.
And Aaron is right, just put a cutting in some wet soil, and keep it wet, it'll root.

Also just because its a weeping tree, does not mean that you have to style it like a weeping willow.
:cool:

@ Ali

Willows in general (around here anyway) are only second to Russian Olive for their ability to survive most abuses. They will easily take from cuttings. Given your living arrangements though, I'd suggest you find material that you really really really want... there isn't much room on a balcony for more than a few plants. Which is a good thing... you could concentrate on a few highly desirable trees (at a higher cost point) and leave all of the questionable material alone.

I took one weeping willow cutting last year, stuck it in a jar of water.
It rooted well, but it didn't survive the transfer to soil.
So yes, they root easily.
And Aaron is right, just put a cutting in some wet soil, and keep it wet, it'll root.

Also just because its a weeping tree, does not mean that you have to style it like a weeping willow.
:cool:

I have had the same experience in the past and forgot to mention it - Thank you!

Grimmy

Back
Top Bottom