Weeping Blue Atlas Cedar

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hi all,

I'm more of a lurker than a poster, but I've been wanting to post about this nursery stock find that I got last month at Lowe's.
My partner talked one of the garden center staff into marking the tree on clearance, so we walked away with it for about $50.

Here it is! A weeping Blue Atlas Cedar.

20240811_072506.jpg

Since it's nearly Fall I don't have plans to do much to it this year, other than replacing the top half of its soil since it was seemingly grown in clay in the ground.

I'm posting though, because I'm looking for ideas on possible design approaches I could make with this tree.

Given that it's already cascading right out of its pot, that seems like an obvious choice. But from looking at pictures online, it seems the tree was likely grown while tied to a poll, leading to its curvy shape. So I could always try to return to that setup, and see what happens. Not sure how feasible it would be to try emulating the style of a more mature weeping Blue Atlas Cedar, since they seem to spread out quite a lot.

Anyway, I appreciate any advice or words of wisdom. Thanks for reading!

I have never seen the weeping version as a bonsai but we have one in our yard that is bent into a series of curves so I know they can be bent to just about any shape you want. I have also seen an older one that was left to ramble and covered much of a front yard so pruning to keep under control may be a regular need. I would go ahead and pit some wire on it right now and get started as this is a great time since the sap flow slows and you are less likely to slip bark. See my recent post on bending BAC plus Eastern Leaf had a couple of pretty decent videos on their YouTube channel a couple of yeas ago.

Back
Top Bottom