Volunteer spruce (identification???)

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Got a little spruce that appeared in my yard this year, obviously volunteering to become bonsai. Naturally, I obliged and put it in a pot. Any idea what kind of spruce it is?
33237289-3E1D-4B95-9D44-3A1448C624C1.jpeg

We don't know where you live.

Man, pretty tough at this stage. I’m going Norway spruce.

Baby Spruce. Foliage so tiny seems like Dwarf Alberta Spruce😊.

If it just popped up in your yard, there’s a chance the seed came from a nearby tree.
Check to see if there’s a mature spruce nearby that could be the parent. Check for cones, they’re a helpful way to identify the species.

If it just popped up in your yard, there’s a chance the seed came from a nearby tree.
Check to see if there’s a mature spruce nearby that could be the parent. Check for cones, they’re a helpful way to identify the species.
This is the nearest conifer in the yard:
8BB2844C-92A6-472A-910E-74522CCA2896.jpeg
C1385D85-85EE-494F-8B6D-1E2FB66E6BDA.jpeg

Another picture of the sapling under better lighting conditions:
F726FBF9-104F-4EF2-97A9-083B61EADCE3.jpeg

Skinny needles says ERC. Young Picea pungens are thicker by a lot, and have a heavy waxy coating. ERC seedlings are a dime a dozen in their range verses few P. p.

Next year's buds are clearly visible, definitely a spruce, probably Picea pungens. If it were growing here I would further guess that it's a 2020 sprout, not a 2021.

Next year's buds are clearly visible, definitely a spruce, probably Picea pungens. If it were growing here I would further guess that it's a 2020 sprout, not a 2021.
It’s entirely possible that it could be a 2020 sprout that escaped my attention last year. It was growing in a bed of cypress mulch on the north side of the house in an area where I am unlikely to see it except when I’m mowing the lawn.

Back
Top Bottom