Visiting National Arboretum next month!

substratum

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Taking a business trip to DC next month, and will have about 4 hours to spend at the National Arboretum. Definitely going to see the bonsai collection. Any tips? If I have the time, what should be the next thing to see after the little trees?
Paul

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I take a stroll past all the bonsai there on my lunch break, if I'm on that side of DC around lunch.
4 hours is plenty, for a busy professional.
You won't be disappointed.

As far as something else to do...cherry blossoms might be blooming then... I know the blooms were damaged last year, probably this year too, so not as spectacular as usual.

substratum

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thank you. For clarification, I’m referring to other parts of the Arboretum. According to the website, it’s 439 acres, and has 9+ miles of walking trails. I considered the azalea garden tour, as they should be in bloom, but it runs a little late and would press me getting to an evening event.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thank you. For clarification, I’m referring to other parts of the Arboretum. According to the website, it’s 439 acres, and has 9+ miles of walking trails. I considered the azalea garden tour, as they should be in bloom, but it runs a little late and would press me getting to an evening event.
Oh, yes indeed, definitely the azaleas!
I still need to see them myself...
Only seen pics.
I've walked a different azalea garden in MD, which is awesome...I'm sure theirs is nice.

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Taking a business trip to DC next month, and will have about 4 hours to spend at the National Arboretum. Definitely going to see the bonsai collection. Any tips? If I have the time, what should be the next thing to see after the little trees?
Paul
You'll use up those 4 hours quickly, but the arboretum is nice to walk around regardless. Also, you should check to see if you'll be there at the right time for the cherry blossom festival. the blooms are wonderful to walk through down by the tidal basin

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Check out all the shrubs and trees planted around the gift shop, lots of cool dwarfs. Go to the Chinese, Japanese and Korean Valleys on the other side of the arboretum, beautiful and lots of cool trees. As someone said the dwarf conifer collection is very nice.

My first choice of destination after the Bonsai and Penjing collection would be the Asian Valleys.

You'll need your car, the place is big, you won't get to see much on foot. Bicycles are allowed.

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
wow! didn't even know about the valleys! public parks are awesome! thanks Teddy R.!

substratum

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Check out all the shrubs and trees planted around the gift shop, lots of cool dwarfs. Go to the Chinese, Japanese and Korean Valleys on the other side of the arboretum, beautiful and lots of cool trees. As someone said the dwarf conifer collection is very nice.

My first choice of destination after the Bonsai and Penjing collection would be the Asian Valleys.

You'll need your car, the place is big, you won't get to see much on foot. Bicycles are allowed.

I'm flying to DC, and will cab/Uber to the Arboretum from my hotel on CT Avenue, so I'm limited in that respect. I downloaded the Arboretum app on my phone, and last night noticed all the parking lots within the park - was a little surprised when I saw that, as I thought it was a secure place (like the National Zoo). My mental image of the place is continuously morphing, LOL!

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have the good fortune of not living too far away. I visit the National Bonsai and Penjing Museum (and Arboretum) once or twice a year. It's really sort of a hidden gem (even though it's large at over 400 acres) in DC. In part because it is out on the edge of the District. DC has some phenomenal museums. I love the National Gallery and Arboretum in particular though.

At 4 hours I don't know if I'd try to cram in anything else downtown by the mall. Maybe just stay at the Arboretum if you want to get in a lot of walking outside of the Bonsai exhibit. The Bonsai and Penjing are spectacular. And they've created a wonderful space for the museum itself also.

And your timing will be great with everything out of winter storage.

I am a donor/member of the NBF because it is worth it.

I'm also finally taking my first Bonsai class/workshop there later this Spring. Super excited for it, and what a great place to get to take a class.

substratum

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've been to DC close to 50 times since the mid-80s, so I've spent hours in many of the museums. Took my (now adult) son with me on 6 of those trips. Never the Arboretum, though. The last few years, I've been averaging 3-4 trips up there annually. Visiting the Arboretum is the only thing on my agenda that afternoon, and I think I can get there by about 12:30 PM. I do have to be back at Washington Hilton for an evening Gala that starts at 6:00 PM.

I love the National Gallery of Art, too. One of my favorite places in DC.

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Sub,

the gift shop is just a stone's throw from the Bonsai Collection so you can walk there. People may not have noticed but there are really cool trees, many dwarfs, planted circularly around the gift shop. The shop sometimes has some cool books if you want a souvenir.

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sub,

the gift shop is just a stone's throw from the Bonsai Collection so you can walk there. People may not have noticed but there are really cool trees, many dwarfs, planted circularly around the gift shop. The shop sometimes has some cool books if you want a souvenir.
My last visit there the gift shop was closed (for renovations?). I'll be visiting again in a couple of weeks for a bonsai workshop that I am taking there, so I'll try to check it out again then.

substratum

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sub,

Thank you. I’ll be there a week from today! Looking forward to it! I’ve downloaded the National Arboretum app on my phone so I can study the options, which is what really helped instill the scale of the place.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The gift shop isn't a "bonsai shop" by any stretch. Sometimes some very good books and sometimes bonsai magazines, but no real "bonsai" stuff--which I think is a missed opportunity for them.

The bonsai museum is pretty compact and if you're a bonsai freak, will take you an hour at least to get through. Then you'll probably want to go back through for your favorites. Don't miss the exhibits building with the collection of viewing stones. Lots of other things in there too, like formal seasonal displays, scrolls, and sometimes special exhibits. Currently a special Ikebana exhibit through April 22.
https://www.bonsai-nbf.org/events/

Top Bottom