VIRGINIANA Project

ERClover

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Good evening all,

Residing in Virginia, I’ve had an idea that’s quite appealing to me, especially given then head start I have with my ERC. I would like a specimen of each species bearing *virginiana* in its scientific name, provided there aren’t an unreasonable amount. I ask the minds of Bnut if I am missing any as I begin this quest.

There is of course my beloved Juniperus virginiana, and I know of Quercus virginiana, Pinus virginiana, and Prunus virginiana. I beseech you, have I missed any worth collecting for my Virginiana project?

This is a fun idea.

There’s also Ostraya virginiana, the hophornbeam.

Decided to ask ChatGPT as well, this is what I got:
The suffix "virginiana" in botanical nomenclature typically refers to species that are native to or associated with Virginia. However, many of these species have distributions that extend beyond Virginia. Here are some tree species with the "virginiana" epithet:

1. **Juniperus virginiana** - Eastern red cedar. It's not a true cedar, but is actually a juniper. This tree is native to eastern North America.

2. **Quercus virginiana** - Live oak. This evergreen oak is found primarily in the southeastern United States.

3. **Cornus florida var. virginiana** - A variety of the flowering dogwood.

4. **Chionanthus virginicus** - Fringe tree or old man's beard. Native to the southeastern US.

5. **Liquidambar styraciflua var. virginiana** - A variety of the sweetgum tree.

6. **Ilex opaca var. virginiana** - A variety of the American holly.

7. **Prunus serotina var. virginiana** - A variety of the black cherry.

8. **Ulmus rubra var. virginiana** - A variety of the slippery elm.

9. **Platanus occidentalis var. virginiana** - A variety of the American sycamore or buttonwood.

10. **Cercis canadensis var. virginiana** - A variety of the eastern redbud.

There are certainly other plants, shrubs, and smaller botanical species with the "virginiana" epithet. If you're specifically looking for trees, the ones listed above are among the most commonly recognized. Always consult with local botanical experts or nurseries for more specific information about these trees and their suitability for planting in specific areas.
You might be overloaded if you include cultivars and subspecies!

This is a fun idea.

There’s also Ostraya virginiana, the hophornbeam.

Decided to ask ChatGPT as well, this is what I got:

You might be overloaded if you include cultivars and subspecies!
Great idea asking ChatGPT, I always forget it can be used as a search engine of sorts as well. Thank you! I will definitely be keeping it more general in light of all the cultivars! I love that there is a nice variety of species spanning many different genus’ and even families of trees.

Also didn’t know there was a Redbud variety, they are one of my favorite trees though I’ve read they don’t do well in containers. I have a bunch of seeds I was going to try to stratify this winter but I may see if I can get my hands on some of the virginiana cultivar.

Gotta have Magnolia virginiana, also called Sweetbay or Swamp Magnolia. It's our state flower, and the scent is hard to beat!
There are some amazing huge Magnolias around where I live but they always have such big leaves, maybe big bonsai candidate? Niwaki?

have such big leaves
You're probably right, but I bet you could bring their leaves into scale on a large bonsai specimen, they're not near as large as other magnolias like the evergreen species. Nonetheless, a great tree to have.

You're probably right, but I bet you could bring their leaves into scale on a large bonsai specimen, they're not near as large as other magnolias like the evergreen species. Nonetheless, a great tree to have.
I just looked into it a little bit more and I was definitely picturing the wrong variety in my head. The magnolia I always think of is magnolia grandiflora, whereas this sweet bay virginiana appears to be much more suitable as a bonsai. Thank you for the suggestion!

Gotta have Magnolia virginiana, also called Sweetbay or Swamp Magnolia. It's our state flower, and the scent is hard to beat!
Virginia's state flower is the dogwood (Cornus Florida) 😁

Wanted to provide a small update here. The collection is currently as follows:

ERC in its third year from collection that is thriving after successfully dealing with the beginnings of a couple rust galls

Some live oak acorns that are finally starting to produce shoots. Taproots emerged months ago and I’ve lost all of the ones I started indoors probably due to impatient transplanting. Have 6 that I put outdoors to develop after showing the start of rooting. 2 so far have shoots coming up. Fingers crossed.

2 American Persimmons that I just had delivered bare rooted and have been potted up. Awaiting awakening.

1 Sweetbay Magnolia that came in same shipment as Persimmons.

1 American Hophornbeam of substantial size has been ordered and should arrive this coming week.

I also dug up a decent little nub of a Virginia creeper which technically is not a Virginiana species but had to be an honorable mention.

I’ll post a pic once everything is a little further along. Also will probably soon have my eye on the next addition!

Back
Top Bottom