Using osmocote for portulacaria afra

swatchpost

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Quick question: I've begun using osmocote on my p. afra and have given it a healthy dose on top of the soil. It's loving it. The instructions say it's good for up to six months of slow-release feeding.
When do you all replenish the osmocote? After six months? Earlier?

Thanks!
Yusef

I saw Osmocote at Lowes, but there are a couple different varieties. Which one are you guys using?

I must have been doing something. Poorly written above, sorry.

Quick question: I've begun using osmocote on my p. afra and have given it a healthy dose on top of the soil. It's loving it. The instructions say it's good for up to six months of slow-release feeding.
When do you all replenish the osmocote? After six months? Earlier?

Thanks!
Yusef
Osmocote, like any polymer coated fertilizer has a release curve that is based on moisture and temperature. The warmer and wetter the faster it releases the nutrients. The six months number is the “average conditions”

I use polymer coated fertilizer as the backbone of my nutrition program, and use it at a full rate then replace it after 50% of the release curve number, but I don’t grow tropicals.

Osmocote, like any polymer coated fertilizer has a release curve that is based on moisture and temperature. The warmer and wetter the faster it releases the nutrients. The six months number is the “average conditions”

I use polymer coated fertilizer as the backbone of my nutrition program, and use it at a full rate then replace it after 50% of the release curve number, but I don’t grow tropicals.
Thanks for this breakdown, Nozzle Head. When you replace, do you just pick up the little balls one by one? Or do you mix them into your soil mixture and just replace when you repot?

Firstflush, in other words, you're saying that I could get better results with either fish or kelp emulsion?
Yes. The is osmocote is a long slow controlled feed. An emulsion would push more.
IMHO, it’s hard to overfeed or burn a tree with too much fish/kelp. It can be done though.
Just be careful. I imagine you already have a fist full of pellets on the soil right now. Suggest trying 1/4 strength to start.
See what happens.

Yes. The is osmocote is a long slow controlled feed. An emulsion would push more.
IMHO, it’s hard to overfeed or burn a tree with too much fish/kelp. It can be done though.
Just be careful. I imagine you already have a fist full of pellets on the soil right now. Suggest trying 1/4 strength to start.
See what happens.
I'd love to try that. Any particular brand you suggest?

As succulents these plants ideally need different fertilizer than non succulents. Personally do not like time release junk on substrate either. Check cactus/succulent nurseries online or call to see what is best for these😊.

The time we seek doesn't come before "released fertilizer", or after!

Time is Pretend.

Sorce

I use a 12 month controlled release fertilizer and replace annually in spring. These products work much better when incorporated into the soil. Sitting on top the prills are dry much of the time so don't release any nutrient except for a brief window at watering. Under those conditions a 6 month osmocote may still be effective for a year or more. Instructions for use say best method is dibble holes and pour the osmocote in, second best is mix with soil at planting, last resort is to sprinkle on top of the soil.
No real need to remove used prills unless for looks. The coating gradually breaks down in the soil and eventually disappears.

Cacti and succulents don't need different nutrients they just need less because they are watered less so excess is not flushed away which can lead to toxic levels of nutrient or residual salts.
From a plant point of view there is no difference between nutrients from osmocote or from 20,20,20 or from fish emulsion. Controlled release fert is released every time there is soil moisture so is actually more efficient than twice monthly application of liquid feed where nutrient availability rises and falls as water leaches available nutrients out of the pot.

I use a 12 month controlled release fertilizer and replace annually in spring. These products work much better when incorporated into the soil. Sitting on top the prills are dry much of the time so don't release any nutrient except for a brief window at watering. Under those conditions a 6 month osmocote may still be effective for a year or more. Instructions for use say best method is dibble holes and pour the osmocote in, second best is mix with soil at planting, last resort is to sprinkle on top of the soil.
No real need to remove used prills unless for looks. The coating gradually breaks down in the soil and eventually disappears.

Cacti and succulents don't need different nutrients they just need less because they are watered less so excess is not flushed away which can lead to toxic levels of nutrient or residual salts.
From a plant point of view there is no difference between nutrients from osmocote or from 20,20,20 or from fish emulsion. Controlled release fert is released every time there is soil moisture so is actually more efficient than twice monthly application of liquid feed where nutrient availability rises and falls as water leaches available nutrients out of the pot.
Wonderful information. Thank you.

Do you mind sharing which 12-month slow release you use?

Do you mind sharing which 12-month slow release you use?
For many years I used 16-18 mth Osmocote Exact Lo-start 15-3.5-9.1+TE. That one continues to release nutrients for up to 18 months which suited me fine not having to replace annually in permanent pots. Lo-start refers to delayed release so only small amounts released for the first few months gradually increasing to full release. I though that was a good match for bonsai - less nutrient release right after repotting but increasing through spring and summer when growth is higher.
My supplier had issues with the distributors here and switched to another manufacturer so for the last couple of years I have used Basacote high K 12M 12.5.18 (+2). Only 12 month release on that one so needs to be replaced or remember to use alternative fert in second and subsequent years. Also higher in K so should be good for flowering species.
All manufacturers of these controlled release products make a wide range of different formulations and release characteristics but not all are available in retail outlets in small quantities. I buy 25kg bags so get choice of the full range of product. Check manufacturers websites or commercial suppliers for the wider range. The different alternatives is really amazing. Something for every different hort crop.

I guess if you can't get what you want retail you could get your club to purchase a large bag and repackage in smaller amounts for members.

Back
Top Bottom