"Urban Yamadori" Berberis

Gsquared

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
It’s been a while since I’ve updated this thread. After two years in a plastic nursery container I knew it was time to repot my berberis. It was rescue from a trash pile during a parking lot remodel. I was hoping to get it into a training pot or Anderson flat to start flattening out the root ball. When I got it out of the tub, I was thrilled to find that the whole thing was filled with fine feeder roots. Most of the large roots underneath had sprouted very few significant roots. Most ringed the trunk so sacrificing the old ones was easy and only resulted in removing 10% or so of the root mass. To my great excitement I was able to fit it in the pot I thought I’d be planting it in a couple of years from now. Skipped a couple of years of waiting. It fit beautifully into this indented corner rectangle. I think 5e color is good with the red foliage and can’t wait to see it in the fall.

I still have some cutting back to do on the branches to refine the silhouette, but wanted to try to get a little ramification going. I’ve done shaping mostly by making wire hooks to pull down and shape the tender shoots just before they harden off. Seems to work okay, but not sure how much ramification I will get considering the species. Still, I’m liking how it has developed in the last two years. 6BDEE28B-8F86-4C9C-9FE0-682603286A72.jpeg88EE0E63-D69B-4164-AAEF-2FA32D362944.jpeg

Top Bottom