Update on my mugo pine

Mailo06

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi to all, a bit of update on my mugo pine that I bought this winter.
Here is a link to my firs post.
Thread 'Mugo pine'
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/mugo-pine.62925/
So all I have done for now I just cut the candles as suggested to 6 pairs of needles. It can’t really see very much back budding for now. Other interesting efect is that it got a lot of buds at the end of new growth and is already start extending ( even though everyone was saying mugo is a single flush pine). So should I just leave it for now? Any suggestions would be appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_7098.jpeg
    IMG_7098.jpeg
    639.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_7097.jpeg
    IMG_7097.jpeg
    607.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_7096.jpeg
    IMG_7096.jpeg
    643.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_7095.jpeg
    IMG_7095.jpeg
    363.1 KB · Views: 39
Looks great.

Believe these are primordial buds,.vs a second flush. which can activate a couple ways. Usually when the tree is stripped of needles.

We have a big old Mugo we deliberately cut off 1/2 the foliage, then plucked a number of needles on that is doing the same thing right now.

Being new you likely do not know thread protocols. This post should have been done after the last comment on the initial thread. This way we can come into the thread and see all the work that has been done on that tree, as well as the comments.

Best way to this is to go ahead and repost your entire post of the corrrct thread.

Cheers
DSD sends

So all I have done for now I just cut the candles as suggested to 6 pairs of needles. It can’t really see very much back budding for now. Other interesting efect is that it got a lot of buds at the end of new growth and is already start extending
buds at the ends of pruned shoots is usual response to pine pruning. That's why I cut back as far as possible leaving just a few healthy needles.
Looking at the pictures it appears many of the shoots have way more than 6 pairs of needles below the terminal buds. Many appear to have older clusters of needles below the recent cluster. IMHO you would have got a much better response if the shoots had been chopped harder.

Back budding on bare wood depends on a healthy plant and harder pruning to stimulate them to start. Don't give up hope of back buds until next spring as Mugho don't always respond quickly.

It would be good to scroll back to se the previous posts for this tree. I'm too lazy to switch from an old thread to check what has happened previously so I would also prefer people to continue updating a single thread for a particular tree.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom