Unseasonably Warm Fall

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
It's fine as long as we don't go from 60 to 30 in a couple of days like Christmas 2 years ago. If the trees get a few frosts they should be fine.

The warm 40 to 50 spring then down to 30 for a few days after the leaves start to open is a bigger problem
Happens here every year.
That's our entire winter in a nutshell, with occasional and brief periods of true winter cold...

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
After treating my trident maple for anthracnose, it dropped almost all its leaves a few weeks ago and it is now leafing out again. I assume this is due to the warm fall we have been having.

20171009_153504_HDR.jpg

20171009_153453_HDR.jpg

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
With the humidity just be on the look out for fungus among us.

I sprayed all my trees with Daconal yesterday. Have issues with various fungi because of the humidity this year. Will hit twice more with other fungicides and three times with various insecticides before storing for the Winter.

Close proximity during storage and bad things spread if not treated before being stored for the Winter.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I sprayed all my trees with Daconal yesterday. Have issues with various fungi because of the humidity this year. Will hit twice more with other fungicides and three times with various insecticides before storing for the Winter.

Close proximity during storage and bad things spread if not treated before being stored for the Winter.

I do the same just not as much as I use sytamatics in fall and spring

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Grimmy, living in Wyomissing, I have noticed that Wiki lists our area as right on the edge of semi-tropical or subtropical zones, which I personally think is bs. Maybe Atlanta, maybe even metro DC, but SE PA, come on, we are temperate all the way, current weather notwistanding. Also, both data and maps put Reading in zone 7a (near the edge). Our lowest temp this past winter was 8Fbut I suspect the long-term average for Reading is between 0-5F, a 7a.

I see DC is 86F.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just outside DC here and I've been repotting some tropicals and putting them back outside. I am lucky to have an extension on the season. I haven't brought any in yet and they are showing new growth.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Screw this unseasonally warm October... it should be cold enough now for bourbon drinkso_O

On the other hand, Sangria season has become EPIC!!:confused::confused::confused::cool:

Brandies 365 :p

I think this will be my next problem, so I need to start saving the pennies!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Couple of fat little roasters!!!! Nice!!!!;)

Been fightin' with the door for two weeks....swells up in the humidity.....now?:eek:
Pool is still open, though.....o_O:D:D:D:D:D

Last edited:

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
After treating my trident maple for anthracnose, it dropped almost all its leaves a few weeks ago and it is now leafing out again. I assume this is due to the warm fall we have been having.

View attachment 163467

View attachment 163468

Shouldn't you pick off those infected leaves? and destroy them? I believe that's part of the anthracnose treatment?

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here it often snows for Halloween, trees still pushing growth. My ponderosa seedlings have new growth, elm still growing, kotobuki setting more and more buds, crape still blooming endlessly!20171012_173531.jpg 20171012_173722.jpg 20171012_173436.jpg 20171012_173811.jpg

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Shouldn't you pick off those infected leaves? and destroy them? I believe that's part of the anthracnose treatment?

I guess I had come to the conclusion that they will be dropping off soon anyways, so I left the few that hung on. I am going to be agressive about dormant spraying going forward.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This morning woke up to a frost that they predicted correctly - odd event for them. Anyways for the first time in years I put 15 or so plants in the shed yesterday as they appear to be in grow mode with a lot of fresh growth and they came out today in good shape.

Odd part, they will go in again tonight but after that we will have 50's F again at night, odd indeed but not having to wear long underwear on Halloween is fine by me :p

Grimmy

Top Bottom