Ulmus Selfie Contest!

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yikes! Wish I could see the tree o_O

Believe you me that I tried to get both of us on the same picture! (first time in my life I take a selfie and it has to be with a chopped 5 gal pot in my hand...)

Anyway.
Now that I am officially in the contest here is the tree. Don't be too harsh on both of us: I got the little guy by pulling it off the ground like a carrot one month ago, and it grew so fast that I had to chop it due to irreversible wire marks on the new supposed leader.
Hence the 'free Hanukkah Menorah style'.
Next year I'll see what I do with it (I don't even ask myself if this one will survive).

Attachments

• DSC03634.JPG
    DSC03634.JPG
    178.7 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC03635.JPG
    DSC03635.JPG
    278.2 KB · Views: 128
  • DSC03636.JPG
    DSC03636.JPG
    260.3 KB · Views: 131

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Fun Thread! Here's my first of two entries: Siberian Elm? Maybe some of you can shed light on its true identity. This started life as a volunteer in a flower bed, and then became a donor plant for a thread graft. It was planted in the ground, while the recipient was in a pot. I kept pruning all the branches back except the scion. It is now a nicer bonsai than the one that received the graft! The top has been left to grow unhindered this year to try to heal a major cut. The rest of the tree was wired for the first time this year. It will be repotted and further refined next year.
IMG_4033.jpg IMG_4034.jpg IMG_4035.jpg IMG_4036.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fun Thread! Here's my first of two entries: Siberian Elm? Maybe some of you can shed light on its true identity. This started life as a volunteer in a flower bed, and then became a donor plant for a thread graft. It was planted in the ground, while the recipient was in a pot. I kept pruning all the branches back except the scion. It is now a nicer bonsai than the one that received the graft! The top has been left to grow unhindered this year to try to heal a major cut. The rest of the tree was wired for the first time this year. It will be repotted and further refined next year.
View attachment 80358 View attachment 80360 View attachment 80361 View attachment 80362

Very nice! Definitely going in the right direction !

Thanks for entering! It's nice to see people hell bent on a simple win!

Sorce

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here's my second one: I thought this was the same species as the first one, which was why I used it as a thread graft, but you can see the leaves on this one are much bigger than the first! I don't know if it's just cultural differences or they are different varieties. Maybe I'll find out when the thread graft matures. You can see it in the second and third pictures as the lowest branch.
IMG_4046.JPG IMG_4045.JPG IMG_4041.JPG IMG_4038.JPG

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Additional thoughts about my previous tree if you'll permit me to blather on a bit more:
I've been feeling there's something wrong with the trunk on this one for a while, and seeing it in a photograph has made me realize it's too tall and without taper. I am considering shortening it like so:
IMG_4040 copy.jpg IMG_4041 copy.jpg

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What about chopping it a tad bit lower even (yellow)? Also, that lower left branch would have to go if it were mine. There is a slight bit of taper but for the most part it just looks like a big fat nub. Just food for thought.

Chop.jpg

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nooooo not the lower left branch! :eek: That's the one I grafted in because I wanted a branch on the outside curve. Give it time, it'll get better, I promise! It was just chopped back this spring and took a long time to produce new shoots. I'll eventually carve it back to create some taper. I'll for sure consider your trunk chop.

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Unfortunately this tree got out of hand growing in the ground and several branches just got too thick. They had to be removed and left huge scars. Also, there are no roots at all on the back and the front roots are all long and skinny. So this one may be for the burning pile if it doesn't shape up.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Unfortunately this tree got out of hand growing in the ground and several branches just got too thick. They had to be removed and left huge scars. Also, there are no roots at all on the back and the front roots are all long and skinny. So this one may be for the burning pile if it doesn't shape up.

Seems that graft branch may be too large already.

I would take it down where Vin recommends too.

I think that low chop, and taking all the branches off is in order for spring.

I don't see your proportions getting right again. Probly faster to start fresh.

I'd like to hear what other people think tho.

Sorce

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I had one like that (Ilex) and I made a radical move with it this past spring. It's coming along nicely and plan on posting some shots of it in the spring. Gee whiz bonsai is fun!

pweifan

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
View attachment 80358 View attachment 80360 View attachment 80361 View attachment 80362

Is this the tree you brought to the "Elm Workshop" in April? It's really growing quite nicely.

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Is this the tree you brought to the "Elm Workshop" in April? It's really growing quite nicely.
No, the tree I brought to the Elm workshop was actually a Zelkova. These two I'm pretty sure are Siberian Elm.

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Seems that graft branch may be too large already.

I would take it down where Vin recommends too.

I think that low chop, and taking all the branches off is in order for spring.

I don't see your proportions getting right again. Probly faster to start fresh.

I'd like to hear what other people think tho.

Sorce
Hmmmm, very interesting. (nods thoughtfully) I fear you are correct in that evaluation.

In all seriousness though, I will have some pretty large scars on the trunk if I remove all branches, won't they take a long time to scar over?

Top Bottom