Ugly knots at the bottom of my Norfolk Pine, Can I remove them?

Bonsaithusiast

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bought this norfolk pine, it had really ugly knots but it was the only one the nursery had, so i thought about it and im not sure if i can remove them or not. I really want to develop nebari and show the nebari but these two ugly warts kill what im trying to go for. So im asking if i can at least trim these down to an extent or cut them flush. But as you can see in the photos some roots are connected to these but at the bottom of these knobs. Let me know if i can do something about this because depending the circumstances, ill just have to cover that up or something with dirt and forget the nebari. Me personally cant stand these knots.

Attachments

• IMG_0113.png
    IMG_0113.png
    671.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0114.png
    IMG_0114.png
    648.8 KB · Views: 36

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I suspect those bulges are the start of the roots. If you cut them off I think there will be no roots left.
I would try a ground layer to grow new roots above that level then cut the old root system off when you have better roots above.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Normal growth habit of Norfolk Island Pine🤔?
My thoughts too. I haven't grow NI pine but have germinated a close relative - bunya bunya a few times. They germinate and put down a huge root that swells as a storage organ before the sprout grows above ground. Not quite a lignotuber but definitely a swollen root so may also be normal for other Araucaria sp
Norfolk Island pine can be grown as cuttings so layering should be relatively safe and easy.

Bonsaithusiast

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I suspect those bulges are the start of the roots. If you cut them off I think there will be no roots left.
I would try a ground layer to grow new roots above that level then cut the old root system off when you have better roots above.
That what i also that but Is that safe? And how big should the ground layer wound be? Let me how you would do it so i can consider starting the process. Thabks alot for the encouragement i had with doing that ground layer. I just wasnt sure

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
For ground layer on a nice evenly round trunk I like to use wire torniquet. Cut a narrow band where you want the roots to grow then tie a wire tight around in the cut. The wire helps stop bridging and may even help the new roots bulge out a bit creating buttress base.

That what i also that but Is that safe?
Nothing is 100% foolproof. Trees are living things and sometimes behave differently under different circumstances. You either put up with the knobs or try something but it is easy for me to say as it is not my tree. Your decision.
IMHO if we never take any risks we don't learn much and will probably always have mediocre bonsai.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Sorry, but don't think your tree is going to ever be a decent bonsai. We have all had to learned to take a good look before purchasing something, and say no on numerous occasions.

Last edited:

Bonsaithusiast

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry, but don't think your tree is going to ever be a decent bonsai. We have all had to learned to take a good look before purchasing something, and say no on numerous occasions.
i knew what i was buying i just want this tree in a pot, thats all. but if i had the chance to make it look nice i would. if not, no. it'll just be my indoor plant or something, maybe ill string up christmas lights on it later on😂

Top Bottom