Two larch repotting questions

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Last summer I bought a nice little American larch (Larix laricina) at MABA 2017. This is my 2nd larch, and I'm still learning about them.

I did some styling at the demo table at our club's fall show in mid-September. I'm attaching a picture of the tree as it was when I bought it, and one from November. You'll see that I took off a third, maybe a bit more, of the foliage when I worked on it.

I'm ready to put the tree into a pot this spring, but am not sure it's ready. Feedback from anyone would with more larch experience would be much appreciated! I have two specific questions:

1. Do larch have a strict repotting window, as pine do? Or can a larch be repotted two weeks after the best repotting time and still survive just fine?

2. Can I expect this tree to have enough foliage next spring to support the roots system's recovery after repotting? (I do plan on minimal root disturbance, for what that's worth.)

Okay, make that 3: Do larch benefit from a dose of mycorrhizal inoculant at repotting?

Thanks!

Attachments

• B209 2017-09-16, Creation styling 1, before..jpg
    B209 2017-09-16, Creation styling 1, before..jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 49
  • B209 2017-11-24, Fall color 1..JPG
    B209 2017-11-24, Fall color 1..JPG
    373.1 KB · Views: 49

DrBonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
With regard to repotting, I was taught that larch have a much tighter/stricter time schedule for repotting.
It's best to repot when buds appear round, golden/pink. A few may show slight green foliage erupting but do not
Wait until all buds show green shaving brush appearance . By then it's too late.
With regard to mycorrhizal inoculant, it's probably not necessary.
I think you can probably trim the roots a little and repot gently without any problems.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
1. Yes. As the buds are swelling is best.
2.Yes. Plenty of foliage there. I'm actually pretty rough with the roots on these trees. They will pack a pot with roots every year.
3.No. Contrary to what some overthinkers believe,mycorrhizae inoluctulations aren't need for any tree.

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Thanks, people! I checked the tree today and the buds are just starting to show some green here and there. Plan right now is to repot within the next day or two, and protect the roots from freezing for the rest of the winter. (So I guess I'll be performing the Larch Two-Step, given the temp swings we're expecting.)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sounds like the tree would be safe to repot now. The only question not yet asked, how long has the tree been in its nursery container?

Top Bottom