Triple trunk Sango kaku

b3bowen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The tree below is a fusion of two air layers taken in 2019. My intention is for it to become a triple trunk tree. Sango kaku is one of my favorite varieties though it is an aggressive grower even on its own roots so internode length can be an issue. I have found that container growing the tree in akadama, pumice, lava mix drastically shortened internodes compared to ground growing. The red twigs in winter are lovely, though its best feature is its very consistent and excellent fall colors in my climate.

2DD9049D-0B1C-49F9-9503-F850819EF1EF.jpeg

Right now it clearly only has two trunks. Because of the already excellent radial roots there is not much room to stick in cutting without taking out some roots. So last year I borrowed an inward growing branch and looped it through the nabari. In theory, as the branch thickens with the roots, it should get pinched into place and graft in to make my third trunk.

34D99BA8-6F3A-46AF-A9D4-0C833246EFB6.jpeg

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Very nice work , It will end up as an excellent bonsai if you take care of it

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
right on, i bet this will come together fast

b3bowen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does the bark redness stay with the tree throughout the growing seasons?
I will have to pay attention. My recollection is that it fades some through summer. My guess is that the leaves shade the bark.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I will have to pay attention. My recollection is that it fades some through summer. My guess is that the leaves shade the bark.
Thanks. I'm just curious. I don’t have any trees like this. No problem if you forget to look.

b3bowen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks. I'm just curious. I don’t have any trees like this. No problem if you forget to look. through the summer. Perhaps just not quite as red. Here’s a picture doing into fall.
It definitely stays red through the summer, perhaps, just not quite as red. Here’s a picture going into fall.

Attachments

• 9E7936E8-D3AA-4C12-8A6F-B6EF0907E580.jpeg
    9E7936E8-D3AA-4C12-8A6F-B6EF0907E580.jpeg
    169.2 KB · Views: 11
Top Bottom