Trident maple help

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Having an issue with some leaves. Does this look like over watering or something else?IMG_1986.JPG IMG_1988.JPG IMG_1990.JPG

DrGreenthumb

Seedling
Reaction score
Are the leaves crispy? Could be root issue or maybe fungus if there is black on some leaves starting at tip

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Was the tree repotted this season?
Yes. I bought it this year and it came in a sandy potting soil kind of mix. I repotted when the buds swelled. Took little of the roots off to fit in pot but it wasn't much at all. The soil that it was in cleaned off very easy.

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tree is in the sun from morning until around 2-3 in the afternoon then it's in the shade. I've been watering every day and have fertilized it every weekend for the past month.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What kind of soil? The mix looks awfully lean and particles are pretty large=fast draining, quick drying...cut roots...

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are the leaves like that all day long or only right before you water them? In other words, do they perk up an hour or so after you water them? How moist/dry is the soil before you water it? Are you flushing the soil completely or just doing some superficial watering?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bonsai jack organic soil 221
The web site says that's 40% pumice 40% calcined clay and 20% pine bark. So 80/20 inorganic--which is too lean for trident IMO. Looking around that website, I'd say ALL of those mixes are on the lean side for deciduous if you don't have time to water twice or three times a day.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
The soil looks fine to me - the Turface looks coarser than I'm used to which is good. But I have a question about your repotting. When you repotted, how much of the old soil did you remove? It sounds as though you just trimmed the edge of the rootball to fit it in the new pot and filled in with the coarser mix from bonsai jack. So, is that the case? Is the rootball still in the sandy loam with the bonsai jack soil on top and/or around the edge? Or did you bare root completely and carefully remove all the old soil before repotting?

Scott

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The soil looks fine to me - the Turface looks coarser than I'm used to which is good. But I have a question about your repotting. When you repotted, how much of the old soil did you remove? It sounds as though you just trimmed the edge of the rootball to fit it in the new pot and filled in with the coarser mix from bonsai jack. So, is that the case? Is the rootball still in the sandy loam with the bonsai jack soil on top and/or around the edge? Or did you bare root completely and carefully remove all the old soil before repotting?

Scott
Yes all the old soil was removed. I didn't use water and wash it off at all because it was so loose it all came off easily with a rake and hook. So the tree was bare rooted with the new soil

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are the leaves like that all day long or only right before you water them? In other words, do they perk up an hour or so after you water them? How moist/dry is the soil before you water it? Are you flushing the soil completely or just doing some superficial watering?
Hard to tell how wet the soil is because it's so rocky for lack of a better term. Only way I can judge at all is the lower trunk looks wet about a quarter inch above the soil when I water. I flush it very well when I water. I also usually just water the soil and not the whole tree. We've been having a lot of rain and some cooler days lately in 60's and cloudy lately.

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hard to tell how wet the soil is because it's so rocky for lack of a better term. Only way I can judge at all is the lower trunk looks wet about a quarter inch above the soil when I water. I flush it very well when I water. I also usually just water the soil and not the whole tree. We've been having a lot of rain and some cooler days lately in 60's and cloudy lately.

Usually you can tell if the soil is wet because the akadama changes to a darker color.

Daluke

Mame
Reaction score
Not enough organic matter and too many air pockets inside.

I bet if you put it in a tub of water overnight it will bounce back.

Sprinkle some fine soil on the top and water in so it spreads into the pot.

Also remove the large inorganic. I've found you can cut pumice in half with scissors.

Top Bottom