Treebeard55's JBP contest thread

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
I'm in!

Source: Several years ago I ordered a few items from Dallas Bonsai. As a freebie for ordering a certain minimum amount, I received 3 packets of seeds - JBP, trident maple, and Japanese maple - all imported from Japan by Dallas Bonsai.

BNJBP 2018-01-04 1, seed packet..JPG

I opened the packet of JBP seeds today, and found about 30 seeds. They're now soaking in tap water.

BNJBP 2018-01-04 2, seeds soaking..JPG

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@treebeard55 ,

those seeds produced all the quality stock that we have.
Hope they germinate for you.
All you had to do was soak for 24 hours and plant.

About 10 would show superior qualities. Out of 30 - 25 would germinate.
Best of luck.
Wish they were still offered for sale.
Good Day
Anthony

Ancient Dogwood

Seedling
Reaction score
I got similar jbp seeds from them about 20 years ago. One tree is on the side of my house now about three ft tall and ready to dig this spring.

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Let them soak 24 hours; all but one had sunk to the bottom of the cup. Packed them in damp sphag, labeled them, warned wife and daughter not to be surprised when they saw the package in the fridge. The "take out" date is also set in a Google Calendar reminder.

Took them out to get a picture a little while ago, and now they're chillin' again. Literally. Fifty-eight days to go.

BNJBP 2018-01-07 +2, seeds in sphag..JPG

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Took them out of the fridge 3 days ago and planted them. I decided to use peat pellets, partly because I've found them to work well and partly because we're in the middle of a house move and I think peat pellets will be easier to transport when transporting is called for.

Here are pictures of the stratified seeds; the peat pellets, wetted and expanded and with one seed planted in each; and the little "greenhouses" with covers in place.
BNJBP 2018-03-07 1, seeds ready a..JPGBNJBP 2018-03-07 3, in peat pellets..JPGBNJBP 2018-03-07 4, covers closed..JPG

Top Bottom