Tree species identification

Rich0928

Seed
Reaction score
I’m having trouble trying to figure out this tree species. I purchased it from my local nursery and find so many different species with similar looking leaves

Attachments

• IMG_2553.jpeg
    IMG_2553.jpeg
    180 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2554.jpeg
    IMG_2554.jpeg
    269.2 KB · Views: 35
My best guess is this is some species of the Grewia genus. I'm really not very familiar with this tree/shrub, but according to Google, it is native to southern African regions. They don't seem to tolerate freezing, and should be protected from freezing temperatures. But I could be way off, as I said I don't know this from any personal experience. Good luck, and keep us updated.

I’m having trouble trying to figure out this tree species. I purchased it from my local nursery and find so many different species with similar looking leaves
We can't really help if we don't know where you are. Geographic location (country, even continent). There are tens of thousands of tree species and they are completely different in different parts of the earth. What we have at a nursery here in the states ain't what someone will have in S. Africa, S.E. Asia. etc.

Please fill in the location info in your avatar to the left.

I live in Louisville Kentucky.
We can't really help if we don't know where you are. Geographic location (country, even continent). There are tens of thousands of tree species and they are completely different in different parts of the earth. What we have at a nursery here in the states ain't what someone will have in S. Africa, S.E. Asia. etc.

Please fill in the location info in your avatar to the left.

I did some more research and I’m thinking it is a lavender star flower grewia! Thanks for your input. Trying to figure out a long term plan as to how I want to develop it! Any input would be appreciated

I did some more research and I’m thinking it is a lavender star flower grewia! Thanks for your input. Trying to figure out a long term plan as to how I want to develop it! Any input would be appreciated
Unless this was purchased specifically as a bonsai subject, I doubt this is a grewia. The species is not really all that cold hardy from what I can find. It's subtropical(native to S. Africa) are very unlikely to be sold as a landscape plant in Kentucky.

In your climate, a grewia will likely need substantial winter protection (it needs to be kept above freezing)

A little more information on where the plant came from and how it was sold--i.e. landscaping material, bonsai-specific use, would help.

Also, please fill in the location info IN YOUR AVATAR to the left side of the page. Doing so makes it a lot easier for us to know your location without having to sort through the text string to find it.

Back
Top Bottom