Tree ID Leaf snap app narrowed down to white Ash your thoughts also

Elyah

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If white ash would this make a good bonsai candidate it's growing in my aunts yard

Attachments

• IMG_1314.JPG
    IMG_1314.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1315.JPG
    IMG_1315.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 28
Please put location in profile. Can be much help to many questions;). Believe Ash is correct but cannot guess further. Leaves can be reduced some but would be best with larger tree. Personally am beginning work on 3 small Oregon White Ash.

Please put location in profile. Can be much help to many questions;). Believe Ash is correct but cannot guess further. Leaves can be reduced some but would be best with larger tree. Personally am beginning work on 3 small Oregon White Ash.
Rockford,IL

Look at last years leaf scar on a branch of the sinuses ( little holes) are U-shaped look at a second. What do you see after looking at the second one?

UU or double U, it is a white ash. If they are straight across it is a green ash.

Look at last years leaf scar on a branch of the sinuses ( little holes) are U-shaped look at a second. What do you see after looking at the second one?
Thank you I'll take a look at it tomorrow .

UU or double U, it is a white ash. If they are straight across it is a green ash.

Helps if you add pictures of the stem, not just the leaves. Leaf scar, bud, leaf placement (opposite or alternate) all help to ID a plant.

I seen a u it is white ash I think I will just let the tree be from replies on this post and reading up it's not a real friendly bonsai at least for me.@ this time i'm a beginner Thank you all for the help and the learning process

Regardless the species, trees with compound leaves usually are not good bonsai candidates. They are a challenge to reduce in size and scale, and many of the basic pruning techniques will be confusing to apply if you're new. Find an elm.
Brian, I think honey locust may be an exception to this, but as I've never grown one, I can't say for sure.

Regardless the species, trees with compound leaves usually are not good bonsai candidates. They are a challenge to reduce in size and scale, and many of the basic pruning techniques will be confusing to apply if you're new. Find an elm.
That's what I'll do I will just let the tree be Reading up and buy the replies I'm getting the tree will be too challenging for me at this time I will keep an eye out for an elm Thanks

It definitely looks like an ash of some kind. In PA there is a big problem with ash borer(link at the bottom). Maybe find out if this is a problem in your area before you get too attached.

Ken

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerald_ash_borer

Illinois has lifted the quarantine on moving ashes from county to county as the Enerald Ash Borer is on about 75 of the 103 counties in Illinois. I am near Chicago and some of the neighborhoods in my town were 100% ash trees planted in the park ways. They look like new debolpments now with all the ash removed. My neighborhood is older and has a mix of 70 year old trees on down to five year old trees.

I have a hackberry about 70 years old and a London plane tree that is about six years old for my parkway trees.

Illinois has lifted the quarantine on moving ashes from county to county as the Enerald Ash Borer is on about 75 of the 103 counties in Illinois. I am near Chicago and some of the neighborhoods in my town were 100% ash trees planted in the park ways. They look like new debolpments now with all the ash removed. My neighborhood is older and has a mix of 70 year old trees on down to five year old trees.

I have a hackberry about 70 years old and a London plane tree that is about six years old for my parkway trees.
I lost the one in my parents yard(it was my climbing tree </3....) and then when I found out why, I started noticing dead ash trees everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom