TP Hackberry #4

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
From my Scouting for Trees thread, you might be familiar with this guy. Decided to make a thread, because I think it's interesting and looks like it'll make it.

Oopsie, broke that one little branch a while back.

20160607_145354-1.jpg

20160607_145413-1.jpg

20160607_145453-1.jpg

Not going sumo with this Hack. No more work except remove wires later and just water, sun, and fert.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was just going to feed and leave alone, but it keeps growing. Not bad for first year and considering how hard I cut.
Doesn't it suck when they just keep growing? But seriously, that last view looks really good for a front. You'll want to get as much growth on those shoots as possible before fall. Hackberries drop small twigs and branches really easily.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Tree growing well, but I've noticed these dark marks. Hope it's nothing to worry about. @Zach Smith
I used to think that dieback would be compartmentalized at chop site, but I've been wondering if these marks are just dieback that happen away from chop site.

20160822_172018.jpg
20160822_172025.jpg

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
've been wondering if these marks are just dieback
It does look similar to dieback, but it makes no sense to be connected to the chop. I wonder if there isn't a bug or pathogen that is killing the cambium in these areas. Your second image features an area that clearly has a crack in the bark. I would start carefully picking away the bark from the crack to find out what is underneath (or going on there - even if I picked away from over the entire colored area I wouldn't have a wound any bigger than a branch cut, so ... ;)).

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
It does look similar to dieback, but it makes no sense to be connected to the chop. I wonder if there isn't a bug or pathogen that is killing the cambium in these areas. Your second image features an area that clearly has a crack in the bark. I would start carefully picking away the bark from the crack to find out what is underneath (or going on there - even if I picked away from over the entire colored area I wouldn't have a wound any bigger than a branch cut, so ... ;)).

I may have to carve those spots out anyways. They look like dead tissue to me. I'll just wait and observe a little while. Check back next year for any changes first. I'm really wanting a tree without wounds if I can.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
those dead areas remind me of a fungal pathogen that Japanese maples get. I forget the name, but it is difficult to treat and ruins the maple trees.

I'm not sure I would wait, but I would need to research to find out what to treat with first.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hackberrys heal well Thumbless.
Just give it enough branch extensions and time. Or ground grow in a colander.
Growing them since 1981/2 or so.
From Lafayette, Louisiana.
Using a fridge.
Good Day
Anthony

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hackberrys heal well Thumbless.
Just give it enough branch extensions and time. Or ground grow in a colander.
Growing them since 1981/2 or so.
From Lafayette, Louisiana.
Using a fridge.
Good Day
Anthony
Thanks, Anthony and Leo. The tree doesn't appear weakened. Still going strongly. I'll transplant to ground on a tile or board next spring. I could take the time to see if there's anything happening below. Will not let this worry me too much. Still applying liquid fertilizer now.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I reduced the dead part at chop site some. Threaded a few branches to give it more dimension. Removed a large root and some branches. Planted on board and arranged some roots. All that late winter. Got to reduce more of chop site when I get carving bits.

20170328_160459.jpg
20170328_160511.jpg
20170328_160520.jpg
20170328_160529.jpg

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Going to reduce the die back more.
Is this how you would basically do it? Remove matter above redline? Sorry seems so basic.
2017-04-03 19.14.54.jpg

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yah, carve it down to roughly where you want it to be. If you don't have a full ring of green cambium showing, continue carving until you do, smoothing to the look you then want. The wood should be higher in the center of the wound if you want it to ultimately have a nice round profile. Otherwise I think it will wind up kinda flat when healed.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thumbless,

mind if I share 2 images.
This is Celtis l.

This is the wound we have to heal. Left a branch to heal, extension this year about 3 to 6 feet if it makes it,.
Good Day
Anthony

This is Miracle ------------ a root that survived an accidental dry out in the fridge that killed mum.
Trinidadian born.

hac.jpg

Started healing last year.

hac 1.jpg

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thumbless,

mind if I share 2 images.
This is Celtis l.

This is the wound we have to heal. Left a branch to heal, extension this year about 3 to 6 feet if it makes it,.
Good Day
Anthony

This is Miracle ------------ a root that survived an accidental dry out in the fridge that killed mum.
Trinidadian born.

View attachment 139626

Started healing last year.

View attachment 139627
Thanks, Anthony. I like to see images of wounds covering up, concealing chops. It's educational. In practice I experience some swelling or just rot, so I've been trying things to counter that the best I can. I'd like to get this in the ground and have roots escape to help with healing. Going to move from my current home this year so that'll have to wait.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Been filing. Keep the dremel for finer work.
20170405_114629.jpg
20170405_114352.jpg
20170405_114352.jpg
20170405_114344.jpg

A little more or is this lookin' ok?

Top Bottom