TP Bougainvillea

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
It's got some flaws. That large first branch doesn't bother me too much. The portions marked in blue have no buds; it's been well over two weeks by now since the cuts. ;)

The portion marked orange has no taper. Maybe I'll just let those top branches grow freely for a season. I might end up deciding on a new trunk section then.
2017-10-17 14.33.43.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
It's got some flaws. That large first branch doesn't bother me too much. The portions marked in blue have no buds; it's been well over two weeks by now since the cuts. ;)

The portion marked orange has no taper. Maybe I'll just let those top branches grow freely for a season. I might end up deciding on a new trunk section then.
View attachment 164207

I would consider removing all branches except one, they are all too thick, regrow the tree from back buds that sprout. While not a ''rule'', in general to look tree like, branches should be less than 50% the diameter of trunk, Branches similar in size to trunk make the image of a shrub, rather than a tree. Keep only one branch, which will become the continuation of the trunk,, giving the trunk taper. Just m 2 cents.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
That is some impressive growth in only 9 days!
Hope it's not just gasping it's final breath!
I have to agree with Leo on the editing.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks yall. I'll let it grow a while. I might remove that large first branch, but not yet. If anything, next year. I want it strong and hope for buds in certain places I didn't get this time.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I want to try to preserve what I can before being certain of getting rid of it. Like that thick first branch. Looking at it from different angles. See a tree in it that you like yet?

IMG_20171022_150158_300.jpg

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
So I started a thread, but forgot that it existed. ;) It's sort of heading towards a twin trunk style, the way it's angled now. If it doesn't look like it'll work on in a year or two, then I'll return it back to the last position. What do you think? The way it is now was actually it's original position when it was growing in a hanging basket. It's showing some new buds when I checked today.

20180126_102709-1.jpg
2018-01-26 11.09.27.jpg
2018-01-26 11.10.19.jpg

Top Bottom