Toyo Nishiki Root Over Rock

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It sure is an interesting one. It has the shortest internodes of all my Toyos. I wonder if it's from the wiring.

The crazy no internode one I have growing just gets a Fall cutback after leaf drop and an additional tip/end new branch trim in the Spring after flower bud. Has not seen a bit of wire yet. As I pointed out a couple of times I do defoliate it a few times during the season but only 30 percent or so to check branch development. I did it for the last time a few weeks ago and it has new leaf all over those areas. For the record it has been in the shed as we have be having several frosts in between still warmer days and evenings. After another two nights in there it will go outside to its Winter spot because the nights will be cold but not extreme up and down. I suspect it will drop normally as in the past that way.

Having said all that I am certain the partial defoliations AND never letting water rest on the leaf gives me that growth.

Grimmy

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
The crazy no internode one I have growing just gets a Fall cutback after leaf drop and an additional tip/end new branch trim in the Spring after flower bud. Has not seen a bit of wire yet. As I pointed out a couple of times I do defoliate it a few times during the season but only 30 percent or so to check branch development. I did it for the last time a few weeks ago and it has new leaf all over those areas. For the record it has been in the shed as we have be having several frosts in between still warmer days and evenings. After another two nights in there it will go outside to its Winter spot because the nights will be cold but not extreme up and down. I suspect it will drop normally as in the past that way.

Having said all that I am certain the partial defoliations AND never letting water rest on the leaf gives me that growth.

Grimmy
My other guess is that the nodes and branches are small and short because the roots have been small on mine. Will keep watching yours.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My other guess is that the nodes and branches are small and short because the roots have been small on mine. Will keep watching yours.

That one I have is really in only 3 inches of substrate, the entire rest of the large pot is stone with a barrier screen between it. I am looking forward to pulling it in the Spring, chopping wild roots and spreading them out more. This is an odd project in the North but I have time :)

Grimmy

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Unwired all the branches rewired and manipulated some of the branches. I like to let the branches harden a little, just a little before wiring. I get an idea of this from experience. I don't mind having some wired later than others. Going to have different degrees in bends and twists for a more natural look. The front and silhouette might both change.

Original rear
20180520_110637.jpg
Original front
20180520_110703.jpg

Closeup
20180520_110646.jpg

Top Bottom