Toyo Nishiki question(s)

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I noticed this bud the other day and am a bit mystified. I received this clump in a 2 1/2 gallon container and as with everything else this year just growing it out testing for previous problems.
The plant as received was healthy and still is. When I received it had one final bloom left in late Spring and there is no sign of any other buds on it as of now. Is it strange to see a single bloom this late? It is a 5 plant clump and I only see this one at the base -

IMG_0569.JPG

Grimmy

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Brian and @thumblessprimate1 are right. You may see blooms again, particularly in late August or early September.

Cool, just I thought it odd. I was just letting it grow and not expecting the bloom. I hope you all forgive my silly questions but please understand I lost all plants and trees in Spring 2015 and everything I have tried this year is testing and making sure that crap is gone (pseudomonas syringae). I am happy to report though after one full year of labor and a lot of cash everything seems ok ;) I might even buy some Bonsai in Spring :p

Grimmy

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If you dont mind I would like to ask a question here too-

When do they flower, and do you repot these at the same time as other deciduous? I have ~20 root cuttings that I'm playing with and need guidance.

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Traditionally, quince are repotted in late summer or early fall. However, many have repotted them in late winter or early spring as well. I've done both. I prefer to repot in September, but sometimes I just can't do it. I don't think it's a good idea to repot when the tree is in flower. The quince should be in a root-growing, vegetative state.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Traditionally, quince are repotted in late summer or early fall. However, many have repotted them in late winter or early spring as well. I've done both. I prefer to repot in September, but sometimes I just can't do it. I don't think it's a good idea to repot when the tree is in flower. The quince should be in a root-growing, vegetative state.

Thank you for this Fred!

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks Fred!

I'll aim for maybe early september, october 24th is the first frost (give or take some) so that should give them enough time?

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It should. I'd repot when the weather is warm, but not hot.

The Toyo seems a bit like Serissa - at least in these parts. I chopped my test clump today getting rid of all of the leggy growth and as other quince it seems to do ok if treated more like a shrub. Here I have noticed though if any quince is in the ground it handles full sun FAR better then potted.

Grimmy

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I missed some flowers in a Toyo, late bloomers. Noticed them today deep inside all the foliage.
20160711_194400-1.jpg

Old now.
20160711_194341-1.jpg

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@thumblessprimate1
The one I showed here last year with the single bloom seemed to Winter ok and we returned from around trip 0n April 18th this year it was on its last blooms but overall looked like crap.
IMG_1088.JPG

On the 19th I took a way better look at it and discovered what I thought were part of a clump were actually large suckers. I found the main plant dug down and cut away all of the chunky suckers.
It started to take off a couple of weeks later and today 6ish weeks later it looks robust and may have a future after all -

IMG_1136.JPG

IMG_1137.JPG

It is going to need work but seeing the difference removing what I thought was a crappy clump it seems healthy enough to start the journey. I would like to add that 2 weeks ago I removed 2 new suckers that I did not notice. They were new and 7 - 9 inches long - worse then Serrisa!

Grimmy

Last edited:
Top Bottom