Toronto Bonsai Society - FALL SHOW - Oct 7-8, 2017

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There's a Mexican feller I call PC Pele who works at the pizza place by my work, Cuz I swear he is on PCP when he shows up early, climbs on the roof, and cripwalks (dance) in the window reflection!

Anyway....

I feel like PC Pele right now!

Happy Dance!

Already!?

Sorce

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Awesome! I will be down for Thanksgiving, and I can finally bring you the corkbark cuttings.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm not sure how long you've been a part of the art but you may be in for a disappointment if you do not like deadwood. Here is a link from last years show: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/toronto-bonsai-society-fall-show-2016.24965/ Please enjoy.
Love dead wood, gives the tree a more realistic look but whatever they used whether it was that lime sulfur stuff or what to make it white in my eyes makes the deadwood look fake I mean if your out in the wild when do you see a yamadori or any tree that has white like this on it. No suprise here been into bonsai for quite some time and been into growing, tree studying and nature even longer and actually have deadwood on my 30 year old banyan ficus.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
actually have deadwood on my 30 year old banyan ficus.

150086-3af3109762d502db0cfd2566900a00ac.jpg

This one?

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
There's a Mexican feller I call PC Pele who works at the pizza place by my work, Cuz I swear he is on PCP when he shows up early, climbs on the roof, and cripwalks (dance) in the window reflection!

Anyway....

I feel like PC Pele right now!

Happy Dance!

Already!?

Sorce
I was wondering just where this story was going. You had me paying attention. Nice.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'll have to take another pic the ugly straight branches about 3 of them were completely dead and the bark was crispy pealing off so I removed.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Am also not a fan of bleached white dead woods. Never see such thing in the wild.

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What's up with the white branches? Idk it dont seem appealing to me but beautiful tree though.
There's an interesting story with this tree. It used to belong to a very prolific and active member, Reiner Goeble. It was sold to another member when he was unable to care for it no longer. At one time from what I gather it was featured in an international bonsai magazine, when it still had its apex and that branch which is now the tree was just a meager side branch. Unfortunately Reiner's collection was attacked twice by thieves. On one of those occasions this particular tree was attempted to be stolen, instead it ended up dropped from what is assumed to be a hastened escape by the crooks. When it was found, in the neighbours yard as the story goes, its apex was broken.
Fast forward a bunch of years later, in the hands of the new owner after the sale, it was repositioned and the bottom branch removed and jinned. The side branch as mentioned was developed into the current structure of the tree.

The trees featured in the posters are the trees that won the best in show, or Dick Morton award, named after a member of our club, from the past years equivelant seasonal show. I.e. This one was the 2016 fall winner.

And the white bleached wood. Well that's lime sulpher for you.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am planning on being there early Saturday, waiting for the doors to open. Really looking forward to take in the Toronto bonsai scene, I love TO!

Top Bottom