Too much light?

SaltyBuddha

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Your Shefflera needs Micromax for the Iron. It wont fix the old yellow leaves, but it will fix the new growth. Chop it like its hot.

The T5HO lights are insufficient. In your picture, see how the tops are getting light? Great! That's all. The rest is just in the shade. Sun moves from east to west. Your T5HO light stays in the middle.

Lastly, the picture where you show the light about 2 or 3 feet above the tiny bonsai trees, is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too high. You want your trees to be an inch from those lights. If not, it's just making the room bright, the plant doesnt see any of it. This is the conversational way to remind you of the Inverse Square Law of Light, where "Indoor grow light that is positioned five feet above the plant canopy is 50% less powerful at that height. Inverse Square Law basically states that the farther away an indoor grow light source is, the less effect it has on an object, and this formula is geometrical in its diminishing effect". AKA you arent the Sun, so move those plants to the light source best you can. :)

Cheers

Thanks for the input and detailed reply. From other suggestions, I am already swapping the 2 tube for a 4 tube. 4 tube fixture is already ordered. And in my first post I stated I keep the light under 2" from the top leaves. Like in the first picture. I had to move the light up to get a picture of the top of the tree ;)

Now I just need to figure out a repotting mix....

SaltyBuddha

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
I repotted with substrate of 1/3 Akadama, 1/3 pumice and 1/3 black lava rock. Only cut a few larger roots that did not have any fine roots attached. I also thinned it a bunch. Also got the new light and switched it out today. A lot more light for the entire tree.

Bonsai-Ben noted I need iron. I'm going to fertilize with a liquid and a time release organic. Should I wait a couple of weeks after the repotting?

Also, some of the yellower leaves are now reaching upwards. This is only happening on the top leaves. Not all of the top leaves but no lower leaves are doing this. New growth looks okay for now. Have about 15 new stems since I received it.

What do the reaching leaves mean? More light? Not enough water?

Curling leaves look like some kind of deficiency. In an aquarium I would say nitrate, potassium and calcium. Makes me want to start fertilizing.
0223181828_HDR.jpg0223181828a_HDR.jpg0223181828b_HDR.jpg

Solaris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Got some laterite from your planted aquarium? It's rich in iron.

Wait until you see fresh growth before you start fertilizing with the liquid. New growth means the plant can make use of the ferts. Fertilizing before that is just adding salt to the soil and stressing the plant more (if the soil isn't sufficiently free-draining) or throwing money away (if it is).
The organic stuff takes time to break down. It's not as much of a concern right now.

Heliotaxis means it's not getting sufficient light. Can you set the old fixture on its side and illuminate horizontally? I'm doing that with my overwintering tropicals, and they're all doing quite happily with it.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Check your soil pH and your iron. Given the crappy southern California water, I'll bet your soil pH is too high and it is preventing your tree from taking up iron.

SaltyBuddha

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Got some laterite from your planted aquarium? It's rich in iron.

Wait until you see fresh growth before you start fertilizing with the liquid. New growth means the plant can make use of the ferts. Fertilizing before that is just adding salt to the soil and stressing the plant more (if the soil isn't sufficiently free-draining) or throwing money away (if it is).
The organic stuff takes time to break down. It's not as much of a concern right now.

Heliotaxis means it's not getting sufficient light. Can you set the old fixture on its side and illuminate horizontally? I'm doing that with my overwintering tropicals, and they're all doing quite happily with it.

I have substrate from my aquarium. I also have Iron supplements in liquid form.

I have new growth on the plant, so from what you are saying it could start utilizing fertilizers? I did not do much root work when I repotted.

I'm not sure the light is insufficient. The reaching leaves are the uppermost leaves. The bottom leaves are dark green and flat. Currently swapped out my 2 T5 fixture for a 4 T5 fixture. Should illuminate the entire tree way more. Keeping it super close to the tree. Why are the only top leaves fading and reaching when they are the closest to the light?

Check your soil pH and your iron. Given the crappy southern California water, I'll bet your soil pH is too high and it is preventing your tree from taking up iron.

Not sure how to measure soil PH? I have PH kits for water and can test my tap. I can also use old aquarium water if that is better.

Last edited:

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Pretty sure new growth has that dull green look...least mine did unless it's matured and gets dark green.
You don't want the bulbs to be touching the leaves either.
What is the humidity in LA?
And yes you can give some tropical trees/palms to much light....I forgot which ones. :oops:
Some like part shade.

Top Bottom