Too much light?

SaltyBuddha

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
New to bonsai. I have 3 umbrella trees under two 2' T5s. They have been under these lights for 2 weeks. New growth (both roots and leaves) but some of the higher leaves look yellow. I read a lot about growing indoors since outdoors is not an option. I've been keeping the top of the leaves less than 2" from the T5s. Think this is too close?0215181856_HDR.jpg0215181855b_HDR.jpg0215181855_HDR.jpg

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I also am no expert at growing indoors. These are hardy indoor trees though.

I do notice you need more light though. Top shoots are shading out the bottom of the tree and you will lose that foliage. I've seen set ups with lights on the sides as well. My sense if you are going to grow indoors look into it.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My ficus are constantly growing into my 4' HO t5s, they only burn when they come into direct with the tubes. I try to keep between a 1-2 inch distance from the tops and the lights.

Don't know much about schefflera but my ficus's new growth are a little chartreuse when they first come out, could it be the same for yours?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
too much water,

That's what I would look into....

I guess then also, since I do believe "in proper soil there is no such thing as too much water", you may have to use a looser stool, I mean soil!

Welcome to Crazy!

Who will lick the Belly of a Salty Buddha?

Sorce

Micci

Yamadori
Reaction score
Nice setup man, seems like the light is concentrated at the top, see if you can put some foil panels around the walls, i had to get a wider setup to get alil more light, im running 6 4foot long t5s, ill get a better pic of mysetup today

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 34

SaltyBuddha

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Thanks for all the replies.

I've struggled with watering in the past, so this time around I actually bought a meter. I water when it gets down below 3/4 and it takes about 4 to 5 days for that to happen. The only concerning yellow leaves are on the top and closest to the light.

I've thought they may be more yellow because they are newer leaves, but I have not had the trees long enough to really notice.

I'm limited in space for what I can do. I don't see a way that I can put lights on the sides (mainly because this is in my living room and my wife would object to having lights shining horizontally) or reflectors for that same reason.

With that, I am thinking another 2' two T5 fixture to widen the depth. That should get some levels of light to the lower leaves. Thoughts?

Micci

Yamadori
Reaction score
I have 3 chinese elms, willow fig, 3 black olives. JBP, 2 japanese maples yupon holly and theyve all have done great under t5s jist think you need to spread the light out, when people hear me talking about grow lights at work they assume its weed lol hahahaha nope just lil old trees :)image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 21

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
They will live indoors in crazy conditions. Lol.

I would suggest moving the location near a window. You'll get indirect light from the sun to add to the lights.

What type of soil is it in. Using the wrong soil can really throw off learning how and when to water. Makes it harder than necessary.

Go through watering boot camp and get rid of the meter lol. Trust your instinct and learn to read the tree. It will come quicker than you think !!!

SaltyBuddha

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
I have 3 chinese elms, willow fig, 3 black olives. JBP, 2 japanese maples yupon holly and theyve all have done great under t5s jist think you need to spread the light out, when people hear me talking about grow lights at work they assume its weed lol hahahaha nope just lil old trees :)

Nice! It looks like you are keeping yours pretty far away from the light? I've read that they need to be super close to get enough PAR, but yours look good.

They will live indoors in crazy conditions. Lol.

I would suggest moving the location near a window. You'll get indirect light from the sun to add to the lights.

What type of soil is it in. Using the wrong soil can really throw off learning how and when to water. Makes it harder than necessary.

Go through watering boot camp and get rid of the meter lol. Trust your instinct and learn to read the tree. It will come quicker than you think !!!

Unfortunately, I am in a small apartment. The one window I have is facing North and it is my screen door. No shelf to keep the tree on and my patio faces North too. Barely gets an hour of direct light.

No idea on the soil. I ordered online from BonsaiBoy. Seems to drain well to me. Water gets absorbed immediately.

I was thinking of using the meter as a crutch to help me learn. Eventually wean off the meter once I get used to the trees.

Micci

Yamadori
Reaction score
I only put my lil guys under the t5s on cloudy or rainy days, i live in southern california. During the day i have them in full sun on the ledge and i rotate them on my lunch break. They are definately on a schedule :)

SaltyBuddha

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
I only put my lil guys under the t5s on cloudy or rainy days, i live in southern california. During the day i have them in full sun on the ledge and i rotate them on my lunch break. They are definately on a schedule :)

Once I have the space, that will be the way to go! Until then, I'm stuck with the T5s all day

SaltyBuddha

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
So I used the meter and got 3 different readings....soil is pretty compact and I can't get my finger down into it.

Looks like I will have to re-pot. Thanks for all the help everyone.

bonsai-ben

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Your Shefflera needs Micromax for the Iron. It wont fix the old yellow leaves, but it will fix the new growth. Chop it like its hot.

The T5HO lights are insufficient. In your picture, see how the tops are getting light? Great! That's all. The rest is just in the shade. Sun moves from east to west. Your T5HO light stays in the middle.

Lastly, the picture where you show the light about 2 or 3 feet above the tiny bonsai trees, is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too high. You want your trees to be an inch from those lights. If not, it's just making the room bright, the plant doesnt see any of it. This is the conversational way to remind you of the Inverse Square Law of Light, where "Indoor grow light that is positioned five feet above the plant canopy is 50% less powerful at that height. Inverse Square Law basically states that the farther away an indoor grow light source is, the less effect it has on an object, and this formula is geometrical in its diminishing effect". AKA you arent the Sun, so move those plants to the light source best you can. :)

Cheers

Top Bottom