To use or not to use!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I use a balanced fert throughout the growing season. I never understood the reasoning behind decreasing nitrogen as the dormancy period approaches... and don't say it's because the nitrogen stimulates excess foliage growth that's prone to frost damage, as I have never seen this phenomenon personally.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I agree with @Dav4. I use two fertilizers only because some of our plants produce their own Nitrogen. Those get Grotek 0-49-28. Everything else get Jack's Professional 20-20-20 with micronutrients and does just fine. I have even stuck with this plan after switching everything over from inorganic to organic. Only difference is I use less as less spills to the ground...

I do stop all fertilizer after leaf drop and start again at bud break in Spring but I don't use any offsets, less, more, or any deviation... just plain works.

Grimmy

ohiogrown

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
I use a balanced fert throughout the growing season. I never understood the reasoning behind decreasing nitrogen as the dormancy period approaches... and don't say it's because the nitrogen stimulates excess foliage growth that's prone to frost damage, as I have never seen this phenomenon personally.
I agree with @Dav4. I use two fertilizers only because some of our plants produce their own Nitrogen. Those get Grotek 0-49-28. Everything else get Jack's Professional 20-20-20 with micronutrients and does just fine. I have even stuck with this plan after switching everything over from inorganic to organic. Only difference is I use less as less spills to the ground...

I do stop all fertilizer after leaf drop and start again at bud break in Spring but I don't use any offsets, less, more, or any deviation... just plain works.

Grimmy
Thanks for the info guys!

Top Bottom