To cascade or not....Larch

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Now you are cookin' this is the right direction. Too many newbies tend to limit themselves by depending on outside teachers. Teachers are great for leaning the technical stuff that would take years of trial and error to pick up on by yourself. Believe me on this one. Get the education you need but also realize when it's time to move beyond the teacher before you become afraid to do something he has not taught you. I have known people like that.
Thanks for the encouragement, I really enjoy the design and styling process the most maybe. I have always loved art and design. I just don't want to give it up to someone else. From my point of view I have been dreaming of how I might style a tree the entire time or longer that it takes to be ready after collection, I am way to excited to let someone else style it for me. I do like getting styling advice though and the technical advice I have gotten from "teachers" that I work close with in my area has been very good and very appreciated.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I decided I needed to reduce the tree back to a first few branches and train them from there. The main existing trunk would not bend enough for what I wanted to do. I really think the shari idea helps the taper issue. It looks a little better in person, sorry for the busy background. Let me know if you have any thoughts or tips.IMG_9400.JPG

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I think you're on the right track but as you already pointed it out; the background is not good to show this tree effectively. People have to realize just how sophistocated the human eye and the brain are that can selectively edit out crap you don't want to see. Our cameras cannot do this, you have to provide a good background if you want to show a picture of a tree that is worth the effort. Your camera will give you everything on the table and sometimes focus on stuff you don't necessarily want in the photograph.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Personally I don't see having to decide in the near future. Cut it back, fert heavily and shoot for vigorous growth for a few years.
exactly what im thinking. Ive already cut the structure back to an apex and one cascading branch, I will let it grow out like you mentioned and document it again in a few years.

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
looks good, agree with above advice, I do think it needs to come back over the center of the image somehow, maybe with placement in the container, moved over to the right, (obviously its a temporary container), or with foliage, by bringing the taller branch over the roots a bit more, or a little of both. Just one thought I had, nice tree.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
looks good, agree with above advice, I do think it needs to come back over the center of the image somehow, maybe with placement in the container, moved over to the right, (obviously its a temporary container), or with foliage, by bringing the taller branch over the roots a bit more, or a little of both. Just one thought I had, nice tree.
I see what your saying Waltron, good point. Ill keep that in mind for sure down the road.

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
yea looking back at Alains original virt, pretty much what he did there. Did you see the thing on the gram I sent you from that kitora bonsai? remarkably similar structured tree, albeit a pine, and very refined.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Good move! And I agree with previous posts, like "Cut it back, fert heavily and shoot for vigorous growth for a few years."

Much better starter material than the ones I have, don't f...ail with it.

And yes, a better background would help for others to have more "accurate" suggestions, even if you can do whatever you like with them. But I like the pics on the wall, it shows you have good taste - and are a sociable person (second picture from the bottom left :cool: )

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Would any of the Larch do well in Southern California? I'm inland slightly and get more frost than the coastal areas but nothing major.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
caslarch.JPG caslarch2.JPG [/ATTACH]
yea looking back at Alains original virt, pretty much what he did there. Did you see the thing on the gram I sent you from that kitora bonsai? remarkably similar structured tree, albeit a pine, and very refined.
Yes I just saw it, if I can make this look half as good as that tree I will be feeling pretty good.
second picture from the bottom left :cool:
haha thanks AlainK!]

Here are some better pictures, the close up shows the structure a little more. I used a guy wire and a jack to bend down the main branch (if you look at the original photo on pg1 of this thread the main branch shot up pretty straight). I left just the future apex branch and a cascading branch. Everything behind that branch I removed the foliage, so just those 2 branches left. They really need to thicken especially the apex branch so hence the 2 years of growth that I am planning on.

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Some work done on this today, still not so sure I like it but thought some progress pics might be interesting for some. Also, if you look close the Shari that I created has totally healed over in one season! View attachment 185807
I like what you're doing with this. I think your angle in the last couple photos works well - and it does more for me personally than if you had gone with the full cascade.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I like what you're doing with this. I think your angle in the last couple photos works well - and it does more for me personally than if you had gone with the full cascade.
Have you considered a stone shell pot?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have you considered a stone shell pot?
I have not considered it but now that you mention it I like the idea. hmmmmm
Yeah @AlainK helped me along with this one, his idea. Last year I let it grow like crazy, maybe too much. This year Im going to slow the growth a bit and start to work on ramification some.

Top Bottom