To cascade or not....Larch

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the virtual a lot. If it were mine, I'd move the apex to the left to get a better sense of stability. This view does make the base look pretty rad.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
haha its not my favorite either. It will turn from homely to beautiful, just watch. Or... maybe not.
I'm watching hopefully. The point of anything is whether or not you see any of these trees that come off the margins occasionally, that really never make it into the major shows or drooled over by those that frequent this forum and others like it.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm watching hopefully. The point of anything is whether or not you see any of these trees that come off the margins occasionally, that really never make it into the major shows or drooled over by those that frequent this forum and others like it.
I don't totally understand what you mean. Can you try dumbing that down for me ?

I have no high hopes for this tree as I do for some of my others but something about it holds my interest. If I end up liking it in a few years after I style it and repot it I will keep it, if not I will pass it along to someone more interested.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I don't totally understand what you mean. Can you try dumbing that down for me ?

I have no high hopes for this tree as I do for some of my others but something about it holds my interest. If I end up liking it in a few years after I style it and repot it I will keep it, if not I will pass it along to someone more interested.
I have grown, or been worn down by the onslaught of detractors, to be more tolerant of uncommon attempts on uncommon trees. Just because I have not done it or seen it does not necessarily mean it cannot be done.

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Vance, if it were your tree, what planting angle and style do you think you would apply?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Vance, if it were your tree, what planting angle and style do you think you would apply?
If I had to do it and I had to do it today I would probably go with something like Alan's virtual. However I have found over the years that it is sometimes better to just let a tree do its thing for a while and see what is says to you next year or the year after that, Is there any need to force a choice?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If I had to do it and I had to do it today I would probably go with something like Alan's virtual. However I have found over the years that it is sometimes better to just let a tree do its thing for a while and see what is says to you next year or the year after that, Is there any need to force a choice?
I have two three I'm doing that with. Just offering horticultural needs. Letting them grow...

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I have two three I'm doing that with. Just offering horticultural needs. Letting them grow...
If you have trees that you don't know what to do with it is always better to wait until the rusty old Chevy creeks and grinds into its spot in the sun when you decide what it needs to have happen. You either learn more about the trees, your style and ideas about style matures and changes and both of those two issues come together around the tree.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If you have trees that you don't know what to do with it is always better to wait until the rusty old Chevy creeks and grinds into its spot in the sun when you decide what it needs to have happen. You either learn more about the trees, your style and ideas about style matures and changes and both of those two issues come together around the tree.
Agreed! I have two bonsai...and one landscape in an oversized planter. One day I'm sure they will grow more...offer more and it will click. Until then...they grow and are healthy bonsai. The landscape one...was declining in ground from the past two arctic winters in the past. It thrived last year in the oversized pot.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
When you have a potential good tree but a lack of vision of what to do with it, it is always preferable to wait. Actually you are waiting on yourself not the tree. You can always take the tree to a big name bonsai workshop and get good results but maybe not. I don't do bonsai to provide material for legends in their own minds to destroy the tree. Before I would do that I would have to know who, what and why with the artist and the tree.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
When you have a potential good tree but a lack of vision of what to do with it, it is always preferable to wait. Actually you are waiting on yourself not the tree. You can always take the tree to a big name bonsai workshop and get good results but maybe not. I don't do bonsai to provide material for legends in their own minds to destroy the tree. Before I would do that I would have to know who, what and why with the artist and the tree.
I agree I want to style my own trees myself. I also have noticed that sometimes I have not realized what I wanted to do with a tree until 2 or 3 years and sometimes it seems obvious at first and then I change my mind. I look at my trees all the time and it seems like I see something new each day.

Then again I don't think it hurts to ask for styling advice to see what others think on this forum. It doesn't mean I'm about to rush into anything.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I agree I want to style my own trees myself. I also have noticed that sometimes I have not realized what I wanted to do with a tree until 2 or 3 years and sometimes it seems obvious at first and then I change my mind. I look at my trees all the time and it seems like I see something new each day.

Then again I don't think it hurts to ask for styling advice to see what others think on this forum. It doesn't mean I'm about to rush into anything.
Now you are cookin' this is the right direction. Too many newbies tend to limit themselves by depending on outside teachers. Teachers are great for leaning the technical stuff that would take years of trial and error to pick up on by yourself. Believe me on this one. Get the education you need but also realize when it's time to move beyond the teacher before you become afraid to do something he has not taught you. I have known people like that.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

I've taken different directions than I would have by advice I've chewed over. So I get that as well. But it's nice to have other opinions in case one has a better vision than yourself. Final decision always lays with the owner of the tree.

Top Bottom