Tips on shaping and pruning my juniper bonsai

Orms23

Seedling
Reaction score
I’m looking for some guidance on if I should prune more on my bonsai. I’ve been only pruning new growth that’s underneath. Also, any tips on shaping this style in the future?
I only have it inside because there’s been really bad storms today.IMG_3978.jpegIMG_3979.jpegIMG_3980.jpeg

I'd probably treat this tree very similarly to how I treated the junipers in the last 2 posts on this thread.

Awesome.. yours really changed its shape. Would you suggest I start now? I will probably repot it in the winter.

I did 5 using similar material during dormancy, but the two in that thread were done in June & July. I'll likely do another within the next week. I can't recommend that timing ...but that's part of why I want to try it is to see if late spring/summer work causes the tree to "slip the bark" as is often cautioned against.

In short, right now, dormancy is probably the safest bet. Then repot in spring.

Looks like J. procumbens. The trunk will just keep growing longer and longer and keep growing sideways unless you trim it occasionally. That's how this tree grows normally but with wiring and pruning we can change the shape. It's currently very young and still very bendy so you can create almost any shape you want. There's not really anything there that would dictate one style over another yet.
Allowing the trunk or some branches to grow real long is a legitimate bonsai technique to speed up trunk thickening - sacrifice branches - so you may elect to leave the trunk long or a while. Growing it in a larger pot would speed the process even more.
Wire and bend after mid summer is usually safe for junipers so now should be OK
Repotting time will depend on your location which you have not added to your personal profile. Makes it harder for others to offer good advice on when.

I did 5 using similar material during dormancy, but the two in that thread were done in June & July. I'll likely do another within the next week. I can't recommend that timing ...but that's part of why I want to try it is to see if late spring/summer work causes the tree to "slip the bark" as is often cautioned against.
Sometimes we get away with it. I know I wired and bent junipers at all times of the year for many years and thought the spring bend thing for juniper was a myth until suddenly a few died back badly after spring shaping. Just because a few make it doesn't mean it's totally safe.

Looks like J. procumbens. The trunk will just keep growing longer and longer and keep growing sideways unless you trim it occasionally. That's how this tree grows normally but with wiring and pruning we can change the shape. It's currently very young and still very bendy so you can create almost any shape you want. There's not really anything there that would dictate one style over another yet.
Allowing the trunk or some branches to grow real long is a legitimate bonsai technique to speed up trunk thickening - sacrifice branches - so you may elect to leave the trunk long or a while. Growing it in a larger pot would speed the process even more.
Repotting time will depend on your location which you have not added to your personal profile. Makes it harder for others to offer good advice on when.

Sometimes we get away with it. I know I wired and bent junipers at all times of the year for many years and thought the spring bend thing for juniper was a myth until suddenly a few died back badly after spring shaping. Just because a few make it doesn't mean it's totally safe.

I’ll update my profile today! I just joined yesterday, so still new.
I’m from Wisconsin. Specifically Milwaukee area.
Appreciate the advice though. The long front branch is all new growth. Which is crazy because I’ve had it for less than two years and to watch it grow that much is satisfying. I was just getting a little worried that it will causing it to tilt down because of the support. I have been putting something underneath the end to give it relief and grow straight.
Have any ideas on what shape would look good with me tree when I start to shape it?
I’m going to repot it now here in about a month then if you think that would be ok. I really want to trunk to start thickening.
Do you guys have any good recommendations on where to get the soil from?

Have any ideas on what shape would look good with me tree when I start to shape it?
I'd recommend looking at lots of quality bonsai. You've got a blank slate. The point of having you look at my thread is that you can add tons of movement. You can make it twist and bend. You can create a slant. Be inspired by looking at good high-level bonsai and see if you can imagine how to get your tree in that shape. (Twisting as you bend creates tighter bends.) All you're looking to do is create a line. The rest will develop later.
I’m going to repot it now here in about a month then if you think that would be ok. I really want to trunk to start thickening.
Do you guys have any good recommendations on where to get the soil from?
Wait until spring to repot. I'll concede that some folks in more norther climes than mine claim some success with repots at different times, but I don't know of anyone that would recommend the timing you mentioned. As for soil, I've bought from Superfly and had good service.
That's the entire point of my other thread. I'm trying to feel that out and be able to speak from experience. So far I'm not seeing major issues, but I'm also not recommending anyone follow what I've done.

to watch it grow that much is satisfying.
Also means you are taking good care of the tree which is no mean feat given how difficult maintaining a tree in a really small pot can be. Well done.

I was just getting a little worried that it will causing it to tilt down because of the support. I have been putting something underneath the end to give it relief and grow straight.
As the trunk gets longer it will tilt down more and more. At some stage it will get so top heavy the pot will keep tilting. Not sure why you would want to develop a long, straight trunk on juniper but if that looks good to you please go right ahead.

I see several options:
1. wire the trunk and bend it upward to continue the upright lower trunk and make a 'tree' shape which we would probably call informal upright in bonsai. Standing the trunk upright will take the one side weight off but it may also expose the tree to more wind so tend to blow over more.
2. Wire and bend the trunk into a horizontal or even falling shape which we call semi-cascade or cascade styles depending how far the trunk drops. Basically trying to represent a tree growing on a cliff or steep mountain.

Junipers are usually super flexible so wiring and bending is relatively safe. If anything does go wrong move to option 3 below.

3. Prune that long trunk back to a neater bushy tree shape. To keep bonsai you will need to become comfortable with pruning as it is one of the main techniques to shape and control growth of our trees. Don't confuse amputating limbs with pruning. Pruning is natural for trees and plants as grazing animals and storms are an occupational hazard for most plants so they cope well, probably better than many owners.

I’m not trying to let it get super long and straight like it is. I just didn’t want to start wiring it till i noticed growth. I’ve only had it for 1.5 years. Should I still wait to wire it because I plant on repotting it in the spring.

I’m still relatively new here but I have a J. Procumbens that looked almost exactly like yours and recently styled it into a semi-cascade. Here it is.
It was given to me as a gift and I just let it grow in my garden for a couple years.
IMG_3797.jpeg
As per the advice you received, look at other trees, before you decide what to do with it. I’ve killed a couple junipers by being too impatient.
In my opinion there’s nothing wrong with letting that branch grow long. It will thicken the trunk and give you more options later. Also a bigger pot…as per previous advice…would help in that regard as well.

Should I still wait to wire it because I plant on repotting it in the spring.
No, that’s not necessary. You can wire it in early fall and then repot in the spring. I would, however, avoid pruning it prior to a repot. Junipers derive most of their strength from their foliage. You want to retain that strength going into a repot.

Woohoo!!! More Icicle folks!!!

Send me a PM..

Let's talk growing trees in 'sconsin....

Or as our neighbors call us, "The state of the bullet!"

🤣🤣🤣🤦🏽‍♂️

Now is a good time to wire. I'd recomment "standing it up" as soon as you can since once that sharp bend sets it will be difficult to overcome. More than once I've had trees like this either fully resist being stood up or start to crack. This pic looks like there is still time to soften that first bend.

All good suggestions, but one thing I didn't see explicitly mentioned is that when you wire that branch, regardless of which direction, you should aim to "compress" it by folding or coiling it back on itself. This let's you keep some of the benefits of a long strong branch while keeping it in a smaller shape and adding interesting curvature thoughout.

All good suggestions, but one thing I didn't see explicitly mentioned is that when you wire that branch, regardless of which direction, you should aim to "compress" it by folding or coiling it back on itself. This let's you keep some of the benefits of a long strong branch while keeping it in a smaller shape and adding interesting curvature thoughout.
That also leads to unsustainable growth that will need to be addressed in the future. Good structure is good bonsai.

Attachments

• juniper-branching-study.jpg
    juniper-branching-study.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 32
Back
Top Bottom