Tips on improving the overall shape of a Prunus Incisa

I got an example:
This is a fuji from me :

Nice movement taper and good starting rootspread to build good nebari

Actualy the same as yours but smaller tough

Its been repotted from nursery soil to this pot with an inorganic soil and verry harsh rootpruning
Poor roots lol:
20170226_154207.jpg

After flowering it leaved out but somehow i managed to let the leaves burn by the sun.... DOH

It grew hardly after that it still has some leaves a bit more then yours
20170911_203550.jpg

the smal branch at the back comes from low at the base going to let it run to build more taper

Its small and going to take at least 5 years to thicken the trunk and roots up to shohin size
Grow, cut back, repeat !

Next year ill wait for backbudding and then i wait for the leaves to harden off and chopping back to the best new trunk line to hopefully force the tree to push growth in the new choosen leader and grow strong troughout the season to regain strength!

I think everyone agrees I'm NOT the go to guy for health, or horticultural advice....

That said, the "what a shame" thread has me on a karma kick, long story short...

I was on NPR this morning talking about a book called Boredom and brilliance.

Yesterday I told my wife I think I have a tumor.

Today I realized I don't have a tumor.

Just extremely bored for a month with no work.

That and my anal (lytical) being has given validation to my recent "brilliant" observation bombs are truly that...

Brilliant.

If folks can't understand them.
They just need more boredom!

Where was this supposed to go....

Same advice I offer to be accepted by any free, open mind.

A dead branch is merely a change in direction.
The tree will tell you which, provide you care for it well.
Observe.
Care for it well.

What's Bros name on the Mirai stream?
Troy? Overalls!? Lol!

He was right. Trees are using a lot more water in this month.

All summer my freshly slabbed juniper didn't go dry, but now, near TOO dry!

But not all them are, some of them are staying too wet...

So when I get permanent.

I'm going to keep these grouped. Because, in the exact same soil, I won't have to check watering needs, just set up the system perfect from the get go.

Twice day on junipers and x.

One a day for others....

Save loads of time for further observations, because I am getting in front of this horticulture thing this year.

I am near my happy place of....
As soon as I get something thru one winter, I know it will live for sure.

What I realized keeps people from moving forward....

Being amazed by stuff.

When you stay amazed, (airlayer, wiring, for me) you don't chalk it up as a skill and move on to the next skill.

That's where we stagnate.

It has everything to do with our advertised to society, we are programmed to be amazed.

I'm so bored I came up with a 3 step program to an entire earth utopia today.
Retrofitting Utopia.

I even changed a goal in my life to get assassinated, to wanting to complete this endeavor without getting assassinated!

Milestone!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

I love to read you @sorce, even if I don't understand 100%, probably because I'm not a native speaker and don't live on the continent anymore.
I share your philosophy that the trees are in charge of their own branches. This one showed me that clearly.
I'm starting to have too many changes in direction though...
That said, it's not dead until it's dead. So, long live the Prunus!
Thank you ;-)

R.I.P.
My Prunus Incisa is dead. The 3 remaining branches had all the leaves bend down, one day to the next.
I've seen this many times on this tree and I knew it was the end.
When I cut the trunk close to the nebari, the cambium was mostly brown with just a small section green but I didn't notice anything from the outside.
Well, I enjoyed the flowers, the few dark red autumn leaves last year and... I'm really sorry it died.
I will not try with a new one 'cause I need more resistant trees. He just died on me and I could do nothing.
So long Prunus!

R.I.P.
My Prunus Incisa is dead. The 3 remaining branches had all the leaves bend down, one day to the next.
I've seen this many times on this tree and I knew it was the end.
When I cut the trunk close to the nebari, the cambium was mostly brown with just a small section green but I didn't notice anything from the outside.
Well, I enjoyed the flowers, the few dark red autumn leaves last year and... I'm really sorry it died.
I will not try with a new one 'cause I need more resistant trees. He just died on me and I could do nothing.
So long Prunus!

Thats not cool :(
Im sorry for your loss

I would say that growing out a leader and thread-grafting a branch to fill in the back middle of the right trunk would improve the overall quality. The tree feels too open in the center. Do you have a pic when it is leafed out? I think the winter silhouette might be messing with me. It just seems like you need something to break up that large negative space in the center. Keep the space in the canopy, but break it up somewhere along the center of that trunk towards the back.

I dont know if you are unlucky,
and i dont know what caused your tree to die on you... must be something that happend tough....

fungus/disease? Root rot? To drie to much water? To less to much fert? To acid soil or alkalic ? Root eating larves? So much things that are posible to kill a tree...
What is your hardines zone?

I got two currently both reduced the roots at about 80% when repotted this spring and wired one still alive but the wired one lost a couple branches tough but thats probably due me trying to bend them to much....
They didnt grow allot but thats because the repot i think they can be tough as long as they have decent soil and healthy set of roots next time i repot one of these i will deffenatly reduce the roots no more than 50%

i dont know what caused your tree to die
What I've seen is:
  • Spider mites. I think they were cause #1. They weakened the tree.
  • Lack of water at times this summer.
  • Fertilizer: not a cause. I have a JM on the same soil, same frequency of fertilization, doing just fine.
  • Type of soil: 90% inorganic.
  • Root eating larvae: Don't know, will check.
I'm in Southern Germany. I think pretty much the same weather you have in the Netherlands.
Thanks! :)

What happened when you lost them? Healthy leaves suddenly start withering and then die together with the whole branch?

Nope didnt open the buds at all
Bended to much and maybe to few roots to support all the branches

Mine was established in pot just fine, growing well last two seasons, started this season well and in blooms. Then I wired and bent it (branches) this summer and it's gone in Fuji cherry heaven now. Bending in wrong time, IDK? However I'll keep it till spring.

Mine was established in pot just fine, growing well last two seasons, started this season well and in blooms. Then I wired and bent it (branches) this summer and it's gone in Fuji cherry heaven now. Bending in wrong time, IDK? However I'll keep it till spring.
Same for me, Peter. Started the season with full bloom then gradually lost branches during the summer. Really weird...

Back
Top Bottom