Timing of Final Branching to Trunk Development

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
At what point in the development of the trunk do we start to develop the branching that we will ultimately retain and ramify? Do you typically wait until the trunk is closer to finished so that the branches don't lose their proportions or do you simply control this by pruning the branches back as needed (with other branches continuing as sacrificial)?

I dont agree that branches can be too fat.
too course maybe, or too straight. guess it depends on the girth of the trunk. what we do see more often is fat trunks with skinny branches.
Theres a trident thread on here by bonsaimatt, digging a trident. Now that is a great example to follow...!

Btw im on the side of pruning branches if needed and I do try to keep as much useable branching on the tree as possible. I know others prefer to cut everything off and start new.
Also, branch courseness is species specific. a trident or field maple will produce longer nodes and courser branching than a hornbeam or beech. the former has to be kept in check more or youll end up with not a single useable branch for the next stages.

The answer has to be somewhat species specific, too. Shohin pines you maintain branching from the beginning. Tridents are likely a different animal in this regard.

Back
Top Bottom