Time frame needed for bald cypress from seed

Cioffi

Sapling
Reaction score
Is there enough time in the season to cold stratify bald cypress seeds and get them going in pots? It's my understanding that the time for stratification is three months, which would mean the seedlings go in pots some time in September.

crab apple

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I am interested in this too. Also would like to know when you can harvest the cones, do they need to turn brown b4 collecting?

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
They need to be at least brownish. I usually wait until they are crumbly. I have picked them green, but not many of the seeds sprouted.

No need to stratify, just sow them in some potting soil and keep them wet.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was just reading that they want saturated soil (but not under water) for up to 3 months to germinate.

Cioffi

Sapling
Reaction score
Just to be clear, no cold stratification? Instead, put right into soil, water, and wait several months. Should I b fine, then, going into winter? That is, keep the seedlings outside? I'm in Zone 5/6.

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
I just bought some online (10 seeds) and I just planted them like two weeks ago and 6 out of the 10 came up. No stratification. I had two floaters but sowed them anyway but they haven’t popped up.

Cioffi

Sapling
Reaction score
I just bought some online (10 seeds) and I just planted them like two weeks ago and 6 out of the 10 came up. No stratification. I had two floaters but sowed them anyway but they haven’t popped up.
This is helpful. I may just split the seeds into two groups and try both methods.

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I am interested in this too. Also would like to know when you can harvest the cones, do they need to turn brown b4 collecting?
Yes, and my experience from last season I will never collect early again. If you want, they basically fall apart themselves, if you collect early you're stuck (literally) separating cones, covered in sap.

Never again.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Yes, and my experience from last season I will never collect early again. If you want, they basically fall apart themselves, if you collect early you're stuck (literally) separating cones, covered in sap.

Never again.
That bad huh.
I just pick the cones from the trees after they have turned brown, leave them in a cardboard box to dry under my porch for a month. Then I put them in an old crawfish sack and whack it with my bo staff a couple dozen times. Then I put them in the pots and sprinkle an inch of soil on top and keep the soil wet. In two months I have more seedlings than I need.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
That bad huh.
I just pick the cones from the trees after they have turned brown, leave them in a cardboard box to dry under my porch for a month. Then I put them in an old crawfish sack and whack it with my bo staff a couple dozen times. Then I put them in the pots and sprinkle an inch of soil on top and keep the soil wet. In two months I have more seedlings than I need.
Come to think of it, I've been meaning to replace the sand in my heavy bag with something lighter. I'm getting older and don't quite need a 150 lb feed back mass for my punches and kicks. Fill it with BC cones?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
All great until a sharp edge pokes ya 😅
No worse than the sharp gravel I used to use.
PS: I'm getting soft. I most likely will put them in heavy plastic contractor trash bag before putting them in the punch bag. Collecting in November then 3 months of punching and kicking and the cones should be ready for planting in the spring.

Cioffi

Sapling
Reaction score
No worse than the sharp gravel I used to use.
PS: I'm getting soft. I most likely will put them in heavy plastic contractor trash bag before putting them in the punch bag. Collecting in November then 3 months of punching and kicking and the cones should be ready for planting in the spring.
So you don't cold stratify and all that? I live in Zone 5a/6. Do you think I could get away with soaking them and simply putting them in soil?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
So you don't cold stratify and all that? I live in Zone 5a/6. Do you think I could get away with soaking them and simply putting them in soil?
For BC yes. I did a batch in Ohio for my brothers, In March brought up some seeds that's been sitting in my garage. We put them in a big pot under 1" of soil. He watered it well every few days, making sure the soil remained wet. By end of May we had a bunch of BC seedlings.

Top Bottom