Tiger bark ficus…

cHuNkMuNk1017

Seedling
Reaction score
I bought my ficus and it came looking well… it’s now not looking so hot… any help with growth details??

Attachments

• IMG_0438.jpeg
    IMG_0438.jpeg
    314.8 KB · Views: 70
At a minimum it needs light. Best to put it outside for awhile while you shop for a good plant light.
It’s spent most of the last few months outside… high humidity… but intermittent sunlight…it did really well for a bit then started to die on me…

It’s spent most of the last few months outside… high humidity… but intermittent sunlight…it did really well for a bit then started to die on me…
They don’t want direct sunlight from my understanding… but Burts.. but high humidity is a key…

I see green leaves on it currently, as well as new leaves coming out. What makes you say it's not doing so hot? Are all the grey cut paste spots on it where you have removed branches?

Also, what's your location/USDA zone?

I see green leaves on it currently, as well as new leaves coming out. What makes you say it's not doing so hot? Are all the grey cut paste spots on it where you have removed branches?

Also, what's your location/USDA zone?
Yes that is where I remove branches… I’m north eastern us… some of the grey spots lower on the trunk were ugly scars that I cut back… the tree really flourished for a bit then out of nowhere started to die… but the problem started months after I did anything… this is my end result… I cut back everything dead

They don’t want direct sunlight from my understanding… but Burts.. but high humidity is a key…
It's a tropical tree, it loves the sun. I have all five of mine in full sunlight all day everyday. Lot's of water and fertilizer in the summer months. And they're frog friendly. :)

1721183477918.png

It's a tropical tree, it loves the sun. I have all five of mine in full sunlight all day everyday. Lot's of water and fertilizer in the summer months. And they're frog friendly. :)

View attachment 558188
I’m just looking for recommendations for what I’m doing wrong… the tree had really good undergrowth after a big scare.. and then that all died for the most part then new shoots came and I don’t want them to die off again… already had to cut it back more than I wanted to… but I only cut off what was dead and dried out… it sprouts then looses it… so I feel like I’m doing something wrong… plus at the top it’s growing larger leaves should I trim any of those or just let it run ramped for a bit??? or trim, larger leaves to allow better growth towards the bottom of the tree???

recommendations
Stop messing with it! Even if a part looks dead, there is usually no harm in leaving it there for a while. Sometimes a tree will surprise you and regrow from what looks like a dead area. Jumping to conclusions and doing something drastic is never a good idea, especially if a tree is already weak. You certainly should NOT be pruning off any healthy growth right now- the tree needs it!

I'd like a bit more info if you can provide it. This will give us a more complete picture of the current situation.

Where did this tree come from? How long have you had it?
When was this tree last repotted? What work was done to it? What kind of soil is it planted in?
What are your watering practices like- how often? How thoroughly?
How much light does this get? You mentioned "intermittent light," are we talking morning sun or something else?
What's this "big scare" you mentioned? When was this? How did you react?

It's good that the tree does have what appears to be healthy growth, even if there is not much at the moment. I would not give up on this one yet!

Stop messing with it! Even if a part looks dead, there is usually no harm in leaving it there for a while. Sometimes a tree will surprise you and regrow from what looks like a dead area. Jumping to conclusions and doing something drastic is never a good idea, especially if a tree is already weak. You certainly should NOT be pruning off any healthy growth right now- the tree needs it!

I'd like a bit more info if you can provide it. This will give us a more complete picture of the current situation.

Where did this tree come from? How long have you had it?
When was this tree last repotted? What work was done to it? What kind of soil is it planted in?
What are your watering practices like- how often? How thoroughly?
How much light does this get? You mentioned "intermittent light," are we talking morning sun or something else?
What's this "big scare" you mentioned? When was this? How did you react?

It's good that the tree does have what appears to be healthy growth, even if there is not much at the moment. I would not give up on this one yet!
The “Big scare “ was it loosing all of its leaves… it then grew new ones with a really good looking amount of foliage… then all the fresh foliage died off… leaving most of the main trunk dead… and when I say dead I mean dead… dried out brittle to the touch dead… and yes it’s morning light… but in ambient light through the day with high humidity… I don’t have a place to put it with direct sunlight all day… but again from what I’ve read they are not in direct sunlight in there native home… it’s doing well now… tons of new growth… but I haven’t changed much… I think the first foliage drop was from over watering… I just want my little guy to flourish

The “Big scare “ was it loosing all of its leaves… it then grew new ones with a really good looking amount of foliage… then all the fresh foliage died off… leaving most of the main trunk dead… and when I say dead I mean dead… dried out brittle to the touch dead… and yes it’s morning light… but in ambient light through the day with high humidity… I don’t have a place to put it with direct sunlight all day… but again from what I’ve read they are not in direct sunlight in there native home… it’s doing well now… tons of new growth… but I haven’t changed much… I think the first foliage drop was from over watering… I just want my little guy to flourish
Also I don’t wanna prune anything off I want to see it grow as much as it can… I was just asking if pulling a few of the bigger leaves from the top would help with the little guys down low is all… the last growing event I left the tree alone and all the young growth died off… that is WHY IM ASKING???

I’m just looking for recommendations for what I’m doing wrong… the tree had really good undergrowth after a big scare.. and then that all died for the most part then new shoots came and I don’t want them to die off again… already had to cut it back more than I wanted to… but I only cut off what was dead and dried out… it sprouts then looses it… so I feel like I’m doing something wrong… plus at the top it’s growing larger leaves should I trim any of those or just let it run ramped for a bit??? or trim, larger leaves to allow better growth towards the bottom of the tree???
IDK your USDA Plant Hardiness Zone (which you can add to your profile) , but if it's summer where you live I'd put it in the most light/sun possible, outside, & not trim anything and let it grow and get healthy. Depending on the weather in your area you may have to water it two or three times a day, Tiger bark ficus like sun, water, and fertilizer. Good luck. :)

I'm guessing watering related, but no idea if you're over or under watering.

Try the "chopstick method" - stick a chopstick in the soil, and when it's dry to the touch 1/2" - 1" down, water (depends on the depth of the pot).

Don't water on a schedule unless it's super-free-draining.

@cHuNkMuNk1017 I apologize if I sounded combative earlier. I want to see your tree flourish, too! However more information would be really helpful- could you please answer some of my other questions from my last post? They may hold the key to what is causing the die-back of new growth you described.

You are right- ficus species tolerate shade better than most! That's partly why they are commonly recommended as beginner species. From what you have described, you're giving it as much light as you can under the circumstances and it should be sufficient. That's why I am asking about other factors- something is affecting your tree, it is just a question of what.

The other posters in this thread are giving good advice! I would like more info, but if nothing else you should listen to them.

I have 14 varieties of ficus included several Tiger Bark. Most of mine get some direct sun, and some get as much as 4 -5 hours direct sun. The are watered every day this time of year, but all have very positive drainage. They are fertilized about every two to three weeks. As to humidity, some varieties need it and some don't. I keep two larger Tiger Bark in my office in winter; low humidity, 30-35%, but under good grow lights. No problem, they grow all winter.
Honestly, I don't know why yours has a problem but I am beginning to suspect a root issue. Good luck to you. Hope you get it figured out.

IDK your USDA Plant Hardiness Zone (which you can add to your profile) , but if it's summer where you live I'd put it in the most light/sun possible, outside, & not trim anything and let it grow and get healthy. Depending on the weather in your area you may have to water it two or three times a day, Tiger bark ficus like sun, water, and fertilizer. Good luck. :)
Thank you very much!!

Back
Top Bottom