Thuja / Anna's Magic Ball advice on styling and shari

Horsefeathers

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Picked up this plant at a local nursery based on it's trunk line / the "natural" shari. Two of the branches on the left side of the split are a bit twisted / overlap one another. My initial thought was to let them fuse together (not sure if this is even possible). Or I thought maybe trying to Jin the front branch with the smaller shari and keep the back one as part of the tree. I know crossing branches is typically a no no, but wanted to see if I could solicit some suggestions before I move forward.

As for the Shari, I've heard of people using lime sulfur for preservation, but I haven't currently picked any up / made any. Does this need lime sulfur immediately or would I be okay to apply this next year?

Open to any other advise as well. I really like the basic structure of the tree, and am planning on just thinning it out a bit and reducing the side of the globe. From the tag it appears the tree is basically fully grown (10"-14"). I saw a post in another thread about Thuja that mentioned they never backbud on old growth. Does this mean I'd just reduce the foliage, but not actually it cut it all the way back?

Also, I was curious if anyone knew what this white film in the tree might be. I didn't notice it at the nursery, but saw it when poking through the branches at home. It looked dry / spider webish, but was slimy to the touch.

Attachments

• Annas_Magic_Ball_Arborvitae_1.jpg
    Annas_Magic_Ball_Arborvitae_1.jpg
    342.6 KB · Views: 29
  • Annas_Magic_Ball_Arborvitae_2.jpg
    Annas_Magic_Ball_Arborvitae_2.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Annas_Magic_Ball_Arborvitae_3.jpg
    Annas_Magic_Ball_Arborvitae_3.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Annas_Magic_Ball_Arborvitae_4.jpg
    Annas_Magic_Ball_Arborvitae_4.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Annas_Magic_Ball_Arborvitae_5.jpg
    Annas_Magic_Ball_Arborvitae_5.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 26
Lots to chew on here.
My first priority would be clearing up any fungal or insect investigations.

Some close-up pics of the white film would help in identifying it.

Once that’s cleared up, try to choose a front and/or trunk line to be viewed.

Thuja like to make those hugging trunks that are interesting in their own way, but problematic to a design.

I would think awhile about what stays and what gets chopped.

IMG_2059.jpeg

Appreciate the feedback. I'll be thinking on this one all winter, heh. I'll have to get a better picture of the white stuff tomorrow.

Thuja can create new growth on trunks/branches if there is healthy foliage already on it.
If you remove or kill a branch the tree is likely to create new growth at the associated branch junction (provided the tree is healthy and there is enough light).

Touching trunks fuse eventually. It happens often in some wild trees.
If the plan is to remove one of the left-sided trunks, keep the one with deadwood. It’s more interesting, subordinate to the main trunk, and mirrors the deadwood pattern.

The damaged trunks on your tree are healing and beginning to roll over the Sharis (mainly at the tops). If you want to keep them, you’ll need to re-damage parts.

Thuja wood is decay resistant, it’s ok to wait to apply lime sulphur.

Last edited:
Thuja can create new growth on trunks/branches if there is healthy foliage already on it.
If you remove or kill a branch the tree is likely to create new growth at the associated branch junction (provided the tree is healthy and there is enough light).

Touching trunks fuse eventually. It happens often in some wild trees.
If the plan is to remove one of the left-sided trunks, keep the one with deadwood. It’s more interesting, subordinate to the main trunk, and mirrors the deadwood pattern.

The damaged trunks on your tree are healing and beginning to roll over the Sharis (mainly at the tops). If you want to keep them, you’ll need to re-damage parts.

Thuja wood is decay resistant, it’s ok to wait to apply lime sulphur.
Appreciate the insight!

I guess I assumed the shari / dead part was done healing. How would you go about stopping that process so it stayed?

Appreciate the insight!

I guess I assumed the shari / dead part was done healing. How would you go about stopping that process so it stayed?
In my experience, it takes quite awhile for the live tissue to roll over the Shari with potted trees. This thuja was purchase with the Shari on trunk 5 yrs ago, and has not changed much in that time. IMG_2060.jpegIMG_2061.jpeg

Ahh, I see. Hopefully, I can keep its character then.

And lovely tree!

Back
Top Bottom