Three Months in the Life of a Chopped Nursery Azalea

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I had a little time this afternoon to take care of a few bonsai chores and take a few pictures. I noticed how well this one took its abuse so I thought I would share. What do you think?

John

Attachments

• DSC09779-1.jpg
    DSC09779-1.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 155
  • DSC09851-1.jpg
    DSC09851-1.jpg
    422.2 KB · Views: 159
  • DSC00015-1.jpg
    DSC00015-1.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 161
Dang it! I hit the wrong button, had another picture and some text to add, I really miss the edit button. Ignore the OP, go with this one; and now that I think about it, the title should read, "Two Months in the..."

Here is what we started with at the end of March, didn't do anything to it, just enjoyed the flowers.
DSC09779-1.jpg

I cut it back hard on April 6:
DSC09852-1.jpg

By May 5th, we had a lot of back budding:
DSC00015-1.jpg

Here she is today. Lots of new growth, when it hardens off I will decide what to keep and may remove some more of the original branches.
DSC00305-1.jpg

The edit button is still there, just only last for one hour now.

Ok, I see it now. So you get an hour to edit and then it goes away?
Apparently... I don't really get it, but that is the way it works now.

The "edit" you made to your tree seems to be paying off! This one has responded fast to the chop. I still feel it would look better just a little shorter, but I like the impact little "helmet" look for azaleas.

I plan on shortening it, I removed quite a few larger limbs and I did not want to go any further until I saw how it was gonna respond. I a week or so I may take some more off the top if it keeps up steam.

Thanks,
John

Awesome!

Mine only has very tiny little green specks (buds) forming so far. Its almost been there weeks since the cutback, not quite.

Awesome!

Mine only has very tiny little green specks (buds) forming so far. Its almost been there weeks since the cutback, not quite.

Once those buds break, it goes pretty fast. Also, it could be my climate, it has been in the 80's during the day and upper 60's at night here.

John

Had you done the hard cut back before the flowers bloomed,you would have twice as much more growth.

Had you done the hard cut back before the flowers bloomed,you would have twice as much more growth.

Obviously, but since the first picture is how it was when I purchased it and the next one is maybe a week or so later, I don't think that there would be much more growth today.

John

Once those buds break, it goes pretty fast. Also, it could be my climate, it has been in the 80's during the day and upper 60's at night here.

John
It's been upper 80's low 90's here for the past three weeks, so I don't think that's the issue. It may have been in too dark of shade.

Mine had bloomed before the cutback too which doesn't help.

The blooming before hand doesn't matter. It has to do when you chop it. If you wait until after it blooms;blooms you will be behind, according to some.

I'm concerned that my azalea isn't going to pull through. The buds aren't getting bigger and there are only a few buds.

Is there anything I can do to make sure he pulls through and possibly speed up recovery? I don't really know what the aftercare should be, but I mist it sometimes, check the water, and put it under a patio umbrella that's like screen. Don't know if it's too much light or not enough.

I'm concerned that my azalea isn't going to pull through. The buds aren't getting bigger and there are only a few buds.

Is there anything I can do to make sure he pulls through and possibly speed up recovery? I don't really know what the aftercare should be, but I mist it sometimes, check the water, and put it under a patio umbrella that's like screen. Don't know if it's too much light or not enough.
When did you cut it back?

It takes AT LEAST two or three full weeks to see any new buds when you chop one back like this. I wouldn't worry just yet. If you see little green dots forming already, it is probably fine. Seems right on track to me.

I don't remember yours specifically.. What type of azalea was it?

It takes AT LEAST two or three full weeks to see any new buds when you chop one back like this. I wouldn't worry just yet. If you see little green dots forming already, it is probably fine. Seems right on track to me.

I don't remember yours specifically.. What type of azalea was it?
'Hino crimson red' azalea.

My family is giving me quite a hard time about how I killed a perfectly nice azalea ha. I just can't wait to prove them wrong.

'Hino crimson red' azalea.

My family is giving me quite a hard time about how I killed a perfectly nice azalea ha. I just can't wait to prove them wrong.
Yeah, two years from now when it has a perfect tight little helmet that blooms into a solid red... You will be the one laughing! :)

Back
Top Bottom