Thoughts on these test tiles-- then onto pots

ForrestW

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thoughts/ opinions welcome!

--So for non potters out there, usually when you mix up a glaze you will first fire that glaze on a test tile-- just in case you made a mistake in the mixing, or if you are not sure you want to invest into a larger batch you can see the results. Then you can start to layer two or more glazes in order to get new colors and effects. So with 4-6 glazes you may have many more good colors and combinations. Some of my glazes I only mix 1000 grams and they are only good for spraying, or occasionally brushing (a technique I do not do much).

These are two combinations that went from the tile onto a pots in my past firing.

The first translated well in my opinion, I have applied that base glaze many times and that part was consistent-- then I sprayed the other glaze over the pot trying to fade it out a bit. I am pretty happy with the results as a whole-- although I may do a little darker.

The second I did not apply either glaze thick enough as most of my white crackle pots have been smaller- and so that glaze was a bit thin and then I sprayed the blue overtop but also apparently way too thin. So I ended up with a pretty drastically different result. Sadly this one was a commission, so built a second version of that pot today, and in a few weeks I will try again. (he may still like the finish, coming by to look at it in person) But initially I was not fond of the soft blue white combo, however several local club members saw it and seemed to really like that effect. I would love some thoughts about either glaze effect-- but especially if they would use the white with the lighter blue. (I actually have this commission and another 27/29" oval in the works this spring and that test tile was requested for that pot as well)

Thanks for any responses.-- Rob

IMG_1497.JPGPXL_20240204_235025517.jpgPXL_20240204_154141570.PORTRAIT.jpg

First pot looks great, and I like the white/blue test tile too

I like the white crackle and the lighter blue application is nice too. The drip of the white crackle glaze kinda bugs me though. Feels like there's too many textures/effects going on in one pot

I appreciate all the feedback. The person the pot was for liked it and went ahead and took it. In general I like it but I agree with @Wood that with the drips and the other elements it was a little busy. I have some more test coming in the next few weeks and am going to try this a little more.

Really interesting, thanks for sharing. Application is so important. I'd love a spray setup, some glazes are sensitive and need that to be at their best. I'm very much in the brushing camp right now :)

Back
Top Bottom