Thoughts on repotting and pruning

DaManley

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey everyone!

Hopefully this is an appropriate thread to post my questions in.

So I have two common beginner trees, Ficus Benjamina (Midnight, from what the person I bought it from told me) and a Chinese Elm. I am curious on people's thought of the current soil in each of them and on pruning. I know everyone will have preferences, but I am doing some associative note gathering and picking up information where I can. So if anyone has thoughts on I would be very grateful.

The soil in the Chinese Elm is compact. So I'm pretty sure I should repot it. I'm concerned though since I've had it for now the third day and I'm approaching the end of spring. It absorbs water fine. The foliage seems to be doing well so far. And yes I know, this tree is generally grown outdoors, but indoors is my only option. I figure I can learn with this tree at the very least.

I've had the Midnight for over a week and it is doing very well, no dropping leaves. It has some slow developing shoots. The soil absorbs well and drains well. I'm more curious if I should work on reducing the foliage and finding a shape for it. I'm taking my time right now to research.

Thanks again for any help.

Attachments

• DSC00996.JPG
    DSC00996.JPG
    253.1 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC00998.JPG
    DSC00998.JPG
    231.2 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC01000.JPG
    DSC01000.JPG
    217.8 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC01001.JPG
    DSC01001.JPG
    212.8 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC01002.JPG
    DSC01002.JPG
    218.9 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC01003.JPG
    DSC01003.JPG
    182 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC01004.JPG
    DSC01004.JPG
    182.2 KB · Views: 29
Well, both trees are quite young and I don't see any urgent issues with the soil they are in right now. If they drain well and are healthy, I wouldn't repot with no reason.
The elm needs a lot of ramification which means let it grow, lower the bottom branches a little, and if it were mine, I would chop it down to the 3rd branch - in the summer.
As for the Ficus, it is still a sapling.
I would let it grow a lot, maybe in the ground or in a big colander; meanwhile wiring the double trunks to give them an interesting movement, if you want to keep both.
Both species are easy to grow and to keep alive, so you can be bolder in your work with those trees.
Good luck and enjoy!
;)

Well, both trees are quite young and I don't see any urgent issues with the soil they are in right now. If they drain well and are healthy, I wouldn't repot with no reason.
The elm needs a lot of ramification which means let it grow, lower the bottom branches a little, and if it were mine, I would chop it down to the 3rd branch - in the summer.
As for the Ficus, it is still a sapling.
I would let it grow a lot, maybe in the ground or in a big colander; meanwhile wiring the double trunks to give them an interesting movement, if you want to keep both.
Both species are easy to grow and to keep alive, so you can be bolder in your work with those trees.
Good luck and enjoy!
;)
Thanks you for your thoughts.
Welcome to the Nut House!
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom