Thoughts on endo and ekto mykorhiza for bonsai?

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought some from mailot a while ago and used it now.
Has anyone noticed a beneficial effect? Or even done side by side comparisons?

I bought some from mailot a while ago and used it now.
Has anyone noticed a beneficial effect? Or even done side by side comparisons?
Both work, but it's not straightforward. Species of myc can be tree species specific. Some tree rely on one and not the other, some do both. Adding it out of a prepared container is overkill. I've found that the appropriate species is usually paired with appropriate trees simply by leaving them alone. Myc shows up on its own. I have oak, hornbeam and pines that got it established in their root masses all on their own...

Fostering the life of the appropriate fungus that indeed will be or become present on their own is most important IMO.

We practice so many habits that destroy the ability for the proper fungus to even work, that every opinion on it should be considered useless and misleading if it doesn't include mention of all practices that may not foster that life.

Those are simply the scientific controls.

Sorce

Maybe theres some benefit in adding a good (maybe better than whats there) strain. If you buy microorganisms for biotech I think they ( i forget the name) generally make sure its a good strain.
But there was very little information given with the product and it could have been made just with what they happened to have

Maybe theres some benefit in adding a good (maybe better than whats there) strain. If you buy microorganisms for biotech I think they ( i forget the name) generally make sure its a good strain.
But there was very little information given with the product and it could have been made just with what they happened to have

As rockm stated, if it isn't the species of mycorhiza that normally is associated with the species of tree, you are just wasting your money

There is no "good" strain of mycorrhizae. Just because a biotech company develops it doesn't mean what they developed will sync up with whatever tree you're applying it to. There is no "one size fits all" myc. All this depends on the species of trees and the myc involved. Adding a prepared myc probably isn't going to do any good. Waiting for the tree and myc that is around naturally to sync up costs nothing and is more effective.

Myc has become a "fad" of sorts in gardening. It's hyped in articles, advertisements, etc. It's not necessary to add it to trees. It shows up on its own, in my experience. That lack of information with the product speaks volumes about its effectiveness. There is also no guarantee what you apply is going to live in the soil you're using, or with your fertilization practices -- myc can be killed by regular fertilizers used in container plants...

I have learned that it is mostly neccesary when organic phosphorous sources need broke down and transformed more abundantly…..like rock phosphate and such.
I learned that if using salt based phosphorous that the fungi will actually be expelled for a pathogen by root processes.

On the other hand Microbes are beneficial in both organic and salt based fertilizer regimes……..when the nitrogen is not over applied the plant will not use photosynthetic reserves to assimilate the excess nitrogen……this in turn creates more reserves in the leaf ( high brix) ……now this is where microbes come in and feed from root exudates of carbs and such that become more available and when the microbes expell these they interact with amino acides and actually start to produce naturally occuring and root zone based NPK and the leaves can still build energy………in whether a salt or organic form fertilizer regime………BUT OF COURSE it is my understanding in learning I have paid for is that fungis are only for the most part needed with organic phosphorous absorption.

I do not even use the fungis in my hydroponic operation but I load on the microbes and I keep fertilizer salt very low and really add more chelators and amino acids that absorb calcium and fertilizer and actually increase the fertilizer absorption by 20 or more percent I have learned and really helps with the microbes and the Brix of the plant in general .

In microbiology we tend to order strains of bacteria or fungi or whatever, based on the results we get/got with them. So it's not "them" making sure it's a good strain, it's the person who places the order.
But it's true that there are strains to pick from, one being onozuka R10, a strain if trichoderma that breaks down cellulose if memory serves me right. The extracts are widely used in food and paper processing.

In human cells it's a frigging patent mess though. There's a strain of cells used in cancer research (i think it's called HeLa) that was more or less accidentally donated to science after a diagnostic intervention. Those cells are sold for insane amounts of money and the family of the dead lady has never received a penny.

Mycology however, is a super young science and most products you buy can be considered "wildtype" in the sense that the spores are either collected from nature, or they're so many generations away from the original strain that they've evolved away from it. Fungi especially, can rearrange their genomes based on whatever they mate with, get infected with, or are exposed to. And fungi can mate with over 200 partners.
That isn't always a bad thing though. Because the more variability, the higher the chance there's something that sticks. That being said, there are companies out their with their own stock cell lines that produce reliable strains. Those are both labor expensive as well as costly, but they are absolutely reliable in the sense that they act as described.

Back
Top Bottom