Thickening apex European hornbeam

Jrmcmich

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am letting apex grow to help thicken next section of trunk to develop taper. My question is do I cut back growth at all before season end or just let it continue to go wild and same next year? I know basic concept but not sure if growth is eventually cut off at end of growing season.

1721516247264.jpeg

1721516247311.jpeg

I usually let replacement apex grow unpruned for the first year or until it is around 1/2 the thickness I need. Then chop down to 1 or 2 nodes. You now have a half healed big cut and a new, smaller scar.
The following year allow another new leader to run until it is around half the thickness of the new leader which could be the whole year of maybe only part of the growing season then chop again.
Grow cycles gradually get shorter and the replacement leaders thinner until you are happy with the result.

Even though you are chopping, the new leader is still thickening with each growth cycle.
At this stage, taper is at least as important as thickness.

I gauge the process in relative thickness rather than years or seasons.

Is there a time in season you wouldn’t chop if not enough growing season left? Just not sure how much growing season you need remaining before making larger chop for new shoots to harden off again?

Is there a time in season you wouldn’t chop if not enough growing season left? Just not sure how much growing season you need remaining before making larger chop for new shoots to harden off again?
The answer is likely to depend on local season conditions.
Late pruning here may stimulate new shoots which have no problem through our winter. Trees often don't shoot straight away when pruned too late. They just wait until spring to shoot again.
You'll need better guidance from growers in similar climates for specifics on when and how much.

Back
Top Bottom