TheOne420's Japanese Black Pine Fom Seed - Six Year Contest!

Bilbo_Baggins

Sapling
Reaction score
Albino trees?
Albinism is a disorder where melanin is not present in animals where it should be present.
Since trees are not animals and trees are not supposed to have melanin, technically they can't be albino.
But yeah, that pine sure is white.

I've seen the white (albino) Redwoods but the white Redwoods are actually suckers sprouted off the existing roots of the parent tree (not spouted from seed).
Since this white JBP sprouted from seeds it will need the capacity to leach into or otherwise merge its roots with another tree.
I'm not sure if pinus has this capacity.
If it can attach to the roots of the neighboring green pine before it dies and without killing the green pine, it, theoretically, could survive.
Absent that, without chlorophyll, I believe this white seedling is doomed as soon as it runs out energy stored with it in the seed.
If it does merge with the neighbor tree, it would thusly need to be permanently mated to/with what at that point would be its host tree or it would die.

It'll be interesting to watch what happens or to read others thoughts on this.

Last edited:

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
High intensity LED's are known to bleach plants sometimes. That process is reversible to some extent by placing it in another location, otherwise it will just become a dead tree. Merging with another tree would mean the 'acceptor' basically gets a parasite. Parasitic relations in plants usually don't last long and tend to be devastating for either the parasite or the host, or both.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Some of my JBP seeds are on their way. Is there still time to enter the contest?

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Actually, albino seedlings are fairly common and are usually an indication of genetic damage. It is especially high in seeds that the parent plants have been chemically treated with harsh insecticides or herbicides (especially in China) but can also be caused by high temperatures. There's actually a fair bit of research available in scientific papers on the topic back when I checked a few years ago as this is a common fault in adenium seeds as well. There may also be some cases that are genetically linked especially with variegated plant forms. Nonetheless, albino seedlings do not survive unless grafted onto (as mentioned) another root stock. They also remain extremely sensitive to exposure to direct sun and must be kept shaded. Even then they don't grow well and often die prematurely.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
At my job we did a highly controlled experiment with 100% desease free plants (tested) in sterile conditions. We wanted to know if LED could safely replace our T5's.
150+ genotypes * 5 plants * 2 conditions (led vs. T5)
With the led group we found +/- 6 % of the plants turned albino whereas the controls did not. It was not a genetic factor, because the control clones, and even some in the same container in the LED group, did not albinize. If it were genetic, all 5 clones should have responded the same.
We decided to stay with T5 bulbs for the time being.

I'm not saying there are other things possibly at play here. But we found that it has to do something with LED lighting for our crops.

In cannabis as well, it's pretty common for led grown plants to locally albinize, frankly, it's always the buds closest to the LED.

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, that's why I stressed it's usually genetic damage rather than genetic (which is more rare, pairing up recessives). I don't use LED's though and I still got a number of 'albino' seedlings especially over the past 40+ years I have been growing plants. As a hybridizer I do find certain strains of plants are far more prone to throwing albino seedlings than others, even within the same species, and it has been stated in scienetific papers that some strains are simply less stable and more prone to genetic damage than others. So take what you will from it. You can do your own research on it and pull the science journals.

Also what you call 'locally albinoizing' where some of your plants 'become' albino after germination is something else entirely. It also has to due with genetic lack of stability in a whole other way. What you are describing sounds like the plants becoming chimeric. A whole other topic you can research and read about.

theone420

Shohin
Reaction score
yeah these were sprouted inside under led then moved outdoors. The albino died off shortly after posting about it ,as expected.
I need to get some photos and update this thread, sorry I have been busy with work and then 4/20 and I'm just now clearing up enough to make sentences.

"TEASER"
I have moved the seedlings outside and they are for the most part doing good I lost a few to damping off i suspect and a few to a critter who needed a late night snack(happens here in California). Aside from that they are doing well. I slacked on fertilizer but I have started this week so they should start pumping up. I did a dozen seedling cuttings about a week ago and they are all still green so hopefully they are good too.

I have noticed 2 or 3 seedlings (from the same seller that had the albino seed) have a light green color to the needles that are noticeably different color compared to all other seedlings and as expected their growth isn't as strong as the other seedlings but if they survive they may have some nice character. but I will get pics of them hopefully tomorrow before work and I will get them posted with more of an update and a great story of my stupidity for those that missed it in another thread i posted on.

theone420

Shohin
Reaction score
here is a view of some in my flats. best results seem to be from Treeseeds.com and Rarexoticseeds.com
20180426_182229.jpg20180426_182221.jpg20180426_182201.jpg20180426_182150.jpg20180426_182238.jpg
these are some of the Mikawa seeds from myseeds.co
20180426_182127.jpg20180426_182102.jpg20180426_182050.jpg
these that have lighter needles are from Rarexoticseeds.com be nice if they keep the lighter needles almost like a variegated pine. growth does seem to be slower with these though.
20180426_182025.jpg20180426_182023.jpg

And about the seeds from Amazon Sold by Andradite.
Well it seems there is a reason none of the seeds sprouted. While I was planting the seeds it was getting late and I may have been enjoying some of that new legal cali weed and well ummmm it seems I may have not exactly planted any of the seeds from this seller in the flat I had prepared. So after watering for 2 months and being upset that the seeds were duds and a waste of money I found a ziploc on my bench that I used to germinate the seeds from Andradite and it was still full of now rotten seeds that never got put in the flats. So I watered dirt for 2 months and nothing grew, go figure!
lesson learned, next time I will put seeds in the dirt.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Might need to cut back a bit......but better to smoke more. Make sure your "topped-off"!!!:p:D:D:D:D:D

Don't get careless with ziplocks, legal or not!!;):):):):):cool:

theone420

Shohin
Reaction score
Some updated pics of some of my jbp.
put the last of my jbp's(uncut) in a larger pot 20180820_180328.jpg
this one was in low light to start and got a little leggy20180820_180339.jpg
These are the last of the jbp's seedling cuttings that have not been moved to larger pots 20180820_180347.jpg
one of the seedling cuttings 20180820_180451.jpg20180820_180528.jpg20180820_180535.jpg
And this one has not been cut just growing 20180820_180505.jpg20180820_180512.jpg

Bonds Guy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Love that you did this experiment. I wanted to do something like this, but I’m too lazy lol. I can attest that Treeseeds.com have quality seeds, but I’m still waiting for some seeds I ordered back in May. Until then I will be buying seeds from a new dealer. You pretty much saved me time and money, thanks!

Those lighter needle pines from rarexoticseeds.com might be red pines. JBP have dark green needles and are “neater”.

Last edited:
Top Bottom