The Yamadori Thread

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks Dave, this tree with the double trunk was selected as a Father and Son style just after i lost my Son (41) to cancer in 2013. Some of hisBonsai friends assisted me with the initial selection at the Victoria Convention in 2014. It has special meaning for me in my Bonsai Collection. I also have a collected Sierra Juniper from Boon, that my son Ross worked on when studying bending techniques. I acquired it from Boon in 2016 just prior to my graduation from his intensive program. Not, that one can ever really graduate from this challenging Hobby. The Juniper is gradually changing its clothes with the addition of Kishu scions.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
1169974497_cjdF2-S (1).jpg bonsaibynumbers5.jpg 2010_610.jpg IMG_20171106_180331306.jpg IMG_20171107_092029926.jpg
Nice! I’m not familiar with Ashe juniper. Is the foliage floppy? Or does it grow upwards?

The reason I ask is I see a lot of “hanging foliage”. That is foliage and little branches growing downwards. Usually, Junipers have woody understructures to their pads, and all the foliage is on top.

If Ashe has a different manner of growing, that might be difficult to achieve.

Here is another Ashe Juniper.
Foliage grows and fills in nicely.
Beautiful color.
1169974497_cjdF2-S (1).jpg

This ash was collected by @arcina
FB_IMG_1511463392815.jpg

Last edited:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Gotcha. For my taste, I would graft on shimpaku, preferably Kishu. The native foliage seems to grow a bit coarse and thin. But, that’s my taste. Others might prefer the native foliage. The quality of our native Junipers foliage seems to vary a good bit. Some Sierra Junipers have a tighter/denser foliage than others, for example. If someone had a “tight” Ashe, it would be worth it to root some cuttings for grafting. That way, it would stay “Ashe” but present a better image.

arcina

Mame
Reaction score
Gotcha. For my taste, I would graft on shimpaku, preferably Kishu. The native foliage seems to grow a bit coarse and thin. But, that’s my taste. Others might prefer the native foliage. The quality of our native Junipers foliage seems to vary a good bit. Some Sierra Junipers have a tighter/denser foliage than others, for example. If someone had a “tight” Ashe, it would be worth it to root some cuttings for grafting. That way, it would stay “Ashe” but present a better image.

My ashe needs much more work. It will never get as dense as a Kishu but you can get it well ramified with good sun light and fertilizer. The most difficult part is that you need to be careful regarding the amount of foliage you remove at one time. I left some stuff hanging just because I want to see how it reacts and then later on in the Spring I'll continue cutting off the unneeded foliage.

bonsai dave

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-8
Hey Frank. I remember your son We part of the same bonsai club. He was always great to deal with. I remember meeting you at the convention in Victoria and in Olympia. I'm a member of the West cost bonsai club with Ray Noris and Melvin.

Thanks Dave, this tree with the double trunk was selected as a Father and Son style just after i lost my Son (41) to cancer in 2013. Some of hisBonsai friends assisted me with the initial selection at the Victoria Convention in 2014. It has special meaning for me in my Bonsai Collection. I also have a collected Sierra Juniper from Boon, that my son Ross worked on when studying bending techniques. I acquired it from Boon in 2016 just prior to my graduation from his intensive program. Not, that one can ever really graduate from this challenging Hobby. The Juniper is gradually changing its clothes with the addition of Kishu scions.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
When is the next time you’ll be at Boon’s? I’ll be there for the Show in January.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
When is the next time you’ll be at Boon’s? I’ll be there for the Show in January.
Ah the Show time at Boon's is special. It is amazing to spend time surrounded by so many talented Bonsai Artists in one place at the same time. But, I will probably pick a quieter time for my next trip. As the years pass, serenity recharges my batteries more effectively than the charged energy of a group approaching deadlines . My next bonsai trip will be the PNWBA Rendezvous in September.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey Frank. I remember your son We part of the same bonsai club. He was always great to deal with. I remember meeting you at the convention in Victoria and in Olympia. I'm a member of the West cost bonsai club with Ray Noris and Melvin.
I remember that, hope to see you at the Rendezvous in the fall. Hope your work schedule allows you to attend. Your lucky with Ray Norris, Melvyn Zamis and Bob King in the Vancouver area. Lots of experience and training.

bonsai dave

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-8
I remember that, hope to see you at the Rendezvous in the fall. Hope your work schedule allows you to attend. Your lucky with Ray Norris, Melvyn Zamis and Bob King in the Vancouver area. Lots of experience and training.

Yes I’m great full to have them to help with my bonsai journey. I’ll be going to Rendezvous. I’m taking the Shimpaku with shop with Ryan and the Satsuki work shop with Joe Harris. Are you taking any workshops ?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yes, i have registered for the Collected Spruce workshop and the Shimpaku workshop. I have done very little with Spruce and i am curious to get to know a bit more. Hoping to transfer some of the concepts to my collected sub-alpine fir.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I love the way the figurine mimics the silhouette of the planting.
Thank you. the difficulty with this arrangement was creating the inner channel through to the bottom of the piece of lava, creating feet on the piece of lava so the rootball could thrive in the shallow tray. The channel is like an upside down ice cream cone in shape. I am currently working on reduction of foliage and creating more buds in the interior to reduce the overall size of the canopy. The tree has been in the rock planting for only two seasons, the majority of the work previously was to ensure the health and vigor of the tree. I did reduce the size and create more foliage in the interior to some extent before planting in the rock. The figurine is actually a fisherman minus the rod to reflect the shore pine location by the sea.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Any suggestions with thos Barberry

There is definitely a tree in there, nice old bark. Start a separate thread for this tree. Take more pictures, the camera lens should be level with the top edge of the pot. You want 360 sequence of pictures from the level of the top of pot. Let's you see the "tree".
Post the pictures in "Other Deciduous". Wait for responses. Do not cut off anything until early spring or early summer. Don't follow anyone's design until you feel it is the right idea. If it doesn't create an image for you, wait a year or two. Live with the tree a while before chopping anything.

Barberry with trunks that old are not real common, go slow, if feeling unsure, just keep it without cutting anything off. I have a very old boxwood that has been waiting over 10 years for me to decide on a design. I work on other projects while I wait for inspiration.

pbethune

Mame
Reaction score
Thank you. Just received another clean out with 6 box woods, 3 fire bushes, a japanesse maple and some others. I will post more pics soon.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Two trees from my collection. A Mountain Hemlock starting to show promise. Collected Vancouver Island. And a collected Sierra Juniper that is currently being grafted with Kishu.

Attachments

• IMG_0851.JPG
    IMG_0851.JPG
    227.6 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    278.4 KB · Views: 68
Top Bottom