The strikingly unique foliage of 'Berkshire Sparkler' (Juniperus communis)

Brain Treez

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Despite the Common Juniper having a bad reputation for bonsai, I couldn't resist picking up a half dozen of these of the cultivar 'Berkshire Sparkler' this past January. I've never seen foliage like this in a juniper.

Here's what it looks like now in June, nothing too special:

20240621_143517.jpg

But in the winter? It's aptly named: KERPOW!

20240103_131535.jpg

Between my inexperience and the species' reputation, I'm keeping my expectations suitably low for their journey, but I would love to see one of these as a finished tree with that winter coloring. Fingers crossed.

Wow! Now that is some winter color lol…are you sure that one is still alive?

Wow! Now that is some winter color lol…are you sure that one is still alive?
The winter color is that same plant 6 months ago. The green photo is it alive and seemingly thriving. All the new growth has mostly hardened off. I will likely be thinning it out a bit since it's so incredibly dense right now.

Pretty cool, looks like it’s doing great now!

I’ve got a ponderosa that turns pretty yellow every winter. Makes me worried every time but then green as can be come spring. Lots of variety as far as winter color within a species.

I was listening to Danny Use talk about communis junipers and he recommends clip and grow

Despite the Common Juniper having a bad reputation for bonsai, I couldn't resist picking up a half dozen of these of the cultivar 'Berkshire Sparkler' this past January. I've never seen foliage like this in a juniper.

Here's what it looks like now in June, nothing too special:

View attachment 553475

But in the winter? It's aptly named: KERPOW!

View attachment 553476

Between my inexperience and the species' reputation, I'm keeping my expectations suitably low for their journey, but I would love to see one of these as a finished tree with that winter coloring. Fingers crossed.
I like it. Yesterday I found a nursery about an hour away from me with a dozen formal upright communis Junipers as stock. Interesting foliage.

Back
Top Bottom