The Six Year Japanese Black Pine Contest!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I was considering starting some new ones but would delay the attempt because of time limitations. Now you tricked me. Not fair. Last time i ordered from www.semencesdupuy.com. The best source so far i found in Europe for the European players...

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I was considering starting some new ones but would delay the attempt because of time limitations. Now you tricked me. Not fair. Last time i ordered from www.semencesdupuy.com. The best source so far i found in Europe for the European players...

Order together and meet up at noelanders to exchange ?

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You know what I like about the illustrated seed pack / company.
The seeds are in a vacuum sealed pack.
The other seeds purchased from other sellers are basic plastic bags.

One wonders if they just buy an ounce, keep it in the vegetable crisper
and dish out as they get sales ?

Additionally, if one purchases from many sellers are they getting all of
their seed from the same major supplier?

Hey, if anyone knows where I can get 3 packs of the image shown
let me know please.
Good Day
Anthony

japanese-black-pine-bonsai-tree-seeds.jpg

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Because this contest is to try to learn something... I was curious if any of these sources had "better" seeds than others. You can't really learn much unless your n=100 or greater, so I thought I would order 100 seeds from a bunch of different sources and see if, when treated exactly the same way at the same time, one vendor had "better" seeds.

Ahhh, that makes sense!

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I wasn't planning to grow pines from seed this year but this sounds like fun. Count me in! I had excellent germination from www.treeseeds.com last year.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
How are we going to document progress? Individual threads for each person in the contest?

I think I will set up a special forum just for the contest. Each entry can have their own thread to talk about what they are doing.

[EDIT] It is all set! It is a sub-forum just below this one!

Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Never having done something like this before, and knowing my temps in January will be quite cold still....is it reasonable to start the seeds indoors in January with a couple cheap grow lights or similar?

I'm not sure there would be any significant benefit. I probably won't start mine until February. I would only start them indoors if I was prepared to move them outdoors a week or two after they germinate. I am responding to your comment about a "couple of cheap grow lights". If someone has a big hydroponic or indoor grow setup, they may have the light intensity necessary for pine seedlings, and might be able to start them earlier. Or for that matter, a greenhouse.

My primary concern is critters. Last time I started a tray of seeds I put them outdoors as soon as they germinated and the next time I checked (in about 6 hours) the seed tray had been pillaged by birds.

Last edited:

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm in.
I wouldn't have even considered trying JBP, let alone from seed, except for this challenge. Thanks, you all.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
By the way... you can start more than one batch of seeds if you are interested. You can even start a batch of seeds, and if they fail, start another using a different approach. You probably have a window of a couple of months to get seeds started for this year. You just can't start seeds EARLY... but you can start them late no problem.

Reaction score
I'm not sure there would be any significant benefit. I probably won't start mine until February. I would only start them indoors if I was prepared to move them outdoors a week or two after they germinate. I am responding to your comment about a "couple of cheap grow lights". If someone has a big hydroponic or indoor grow setup, they may have the light intensity necessary for pine seedlings, and might be able to start them earlier. Or for that matter, a greenhouse.

My primary concern is critters. Last time I started a tray of seeds I put them outdoors as soon as they germinated and the next time I checked (in about 6 hours) the seed tray had been pillaged by birds.

I didn't even think about that. My dogs are enthusiastic about defending the garden....but we still lose things to birds and such regularly. Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm just a little nervous and in a fit of insomnia last night I ordered.....a lot of seeds.

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm in most definitely!
Time to start seed shopping.

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I am in! I started some last year in Janurary but ill get some more this fall to grow, Now I can try cutting the roots on this batch

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I might be interested in participating, but I don't want to order a large number of seeds that I'll never use. If someone is willing to sell me a smaller amount from their excess (maybe 20-30 seeds), please let me know. Thanks.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I might be interested in participating, but I don't want to order a large number of seeds that I'll never use. If someone is willing to sell me a smaller amount from their excess (maybe 20-30 seeds), please let me know. Thanks.
Am with you... that's why I start the trading seeds thread. I don't see myself having a few hundreds of pine seedlings to care for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom