The science of air-layering

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
View attachment 169370 View attachment 169371 Two years ago i experimented with a pot designed for air layering which i purchased from Lee Valley. Thought the results may be of interest. I chose a shimpaku that had grown out too leggy and applied four at one time. All four took. Here are a couple of pictures to show the results.

Nice results, something similar to this Rooter Pot?
http://www.bonsai.de/rooterpot-p-12610.html

Gary McCarthy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
View attachment 169370 View attachment 169371 Two years ago i experimented with a pot designed for air layering which i purchased from Lee Valley. Thought the results may be of interest. I chose a shimpaku that had grown out too leggy and applied four at one time. All four took. Here are a couple of pictures to show the results.
Will those rooter pots work on any thickness of branch?

Will they work on a horizontal branch?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice results, something similar to this Rooter Pot?
http://www.bonsai.de/rooterpot-p-12610.html
Yes it is. I reccomend a mixture of fine pumice with the addition of a small amount of shredded spaghnum for the media. The only drawback is the diameter of stem the pot will close over. The concept of retaining moisture and allowing oxygen is the key.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Will those rooter pots work on any thickness of branch?

Will they work on a horizontal branch?
No limited in diameter, not for horizontal as does not retain moisture in the well on the horizontal. For larger diameter or horizontal i use window screening mesh and a higher percentage of spaghnum moss in the mix to keep it from drying out to fast. An advantage to the window screening is ease of watering from the outside, also the ability to allow oxygen to the roots.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think it's a great idea! Also adding a bonsai "calendar" with times of the year to perform certain work, like repotting, pruning, wiring, etc. I know the tricky part is how to explain this based on weather which varies so much from location to location.
The other tricky part is the aftercare available to some in terms of facilities,resources, knowledge and skill level.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

@Riversedgebonsai Great example! Can you provide timing information? When did you girdle the tree and how long before you removed the rooter pot to take this photo?

I am a big fan of Lee Valley. Sometimes I feel like I could order 50% of everything in their catalog. :)

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@Riversedgebonsai Great example! Can you provide timing information? When did you girdle the tree and how long before you removed the rooter pot to take this photo?

I am a big fan of Lee Valley. Sometimes I feel like I could order 50% of everything in their catalog. :)
My problem only occurs when I am there. Although their 9" metal lazy susans were delivered to my door because they had insufficent stock to fill my order. They make excellent bonsai turntables with addition of 15 inch circular wooden accessories.
As for the timing the tree was part of an air layering demonstration that i gave for the Mt. Arrowsmith Bonsai Club on June 11,2016 and the pots were removed on October 1, 2016. So approximately 14 weeks duration.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I should have included the "result picture" . Works better than my descriptions. Parent tree in center, siblings potted up and independant. No pun intended but noted.

Attachments

• Result.JPG
    Result.JPG
    159.7 KB · Views: 123

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
After layering and during the potting is it recommended to prune the white roots back a bit???

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
After layering and during the potting is it recommended to prune the white roots back a bit???

Hi barrosinc,
No, air layer needs all the white roots it needs for first season, and those roots turn brown after a while anyway. First winter or second depending on climate you can work roots to flatten re box or tile etc.
Charles

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
No, when doing the potting i just carefully place the roots with a bit of straightening for the upper level future nebari. Trying to avoid circling without damaging the roots.

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Over those course of two years, I've tried 6 air layers and only had one take. They all seem to be doing the same thing, producing mass amounts of callous but no roots, even after months.

My technique is to girdle the branch, apply a powder rooting hormone to the top cut then wrap spag around everything and cover with plastic.

I wrap the spag really tight, the mass is quite hard and I seal it very well, leaving one small hole for watering.

I'm wondering if I'm wrapping too tight and preventing oxygen from getting to the girdle? Also, how wet should the spag be? I kept it barely damp.

I'm planning more layers the year and would like some success. I'll be working with amur maple and rowen

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ive had a layer fail but that was due to me not paying enough attention and it kept too wet. Little slugs eat roots, if they are present, it’s too wet.
I would say keep wet enough that the sphagnum is green, not light green. You can see when it’s dry, just keep it before that.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
only had one take

And I own it? WT....
Lol!

In reading "tight" I get to wondering if you aren't creating a space so tight That you mechanically create a situation where the natural capillary action is just going on continiing as normal.....crazy? Possible?

Likely not...but....why not? Anyway....

We find success with loose perlite so "tight" can be filed in the BS drawer as uneccessary.

I filed hormone in the same drawer years ago and haven't had an airlayer fail ever.

Try looser, hormone free, and wetter.

Sorce

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Yep, you got my only success lol. I'll try looser and wetter

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi barrosinc,
No, air layer needs all the white roots it needs for first season, and those roots turn brown after a while anyway. First winter or second depending on climate you can work roots to flatten re box or tile etc.
Charles
No, when doing the potting i just carefully place the roots with a bit of straightening for the upper level future nebari. Trying to avoid circling without damaging the roots.
Thanks!
I was successfull on a maple with arakawa-ish bark will remove soon.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
On a quick note, a bit late: NAA has the most unpredictable response of all synthetic auxins. I found it to be more inhibiting and ambiguous than any other auxin i have ever experimented with.

GO WITH IBA! Preferrably IBA-K, takes a lot of time to dissolve, but it's worth that wait.

Adamantium

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Over those course of two years, I've tried 6 air layers and only had one take. They all seem to be doing the same thing, producing mass amounts of callous but no roots, even after months.

My technique is to girdle the branch, apply a powder rooting hormone to the top cut then wrap spag around everything and cover with plastic.

I wrap the spag really tight, the mass is quite hard and I seal it very well, leaving one small hole for watering.

I'm wondering if I'm wrapping too tight and preventing oxygen from getting to the girdle? Also, how wet should the spag be? I kept it barely damp.

I'm planning more layers the year and would like some success. I'll be working with amur maple and rowen
Maybe you aren't girdling deep enough?

Top Bottom