The comprehensive bonsai travel checklist for Japan

WEI

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I'm trying to compile everything in Japan worth visiting for bonsai enthusiasts, WITH ADDRESSES, in this thread. I've looked high and low for that component and didn't get anywhere, so I decided to create my own for planning purposes and dropped most of it here. For those visiting Japan solely for bonsai for the first time, I would strongly recommend joining a tour, such as those that Bill Valavanis hosts (you'll have more enriching conversations with a translator, access to expert familiarity, and tour groups often get discount prices while shopping for pots). This list is for those who want to make a few bonsai detours from an already-planned trip to Japan, cannot accommodate tours schedule-wise, want to build their own itinerary, can only visit a few areas, etc.

I fall under one of those categories, since the main reason I'm visiting Japan is tragically not for its bonsai scene. Though I'm more than willing to make a few detours, I found it took hours of digging and drawing Japanese characters in online kanji decipherers to pinpoint exact locations for many of these POIs. All addresses below can be copy-pasted into Google Maps for directions. I've left about a third of Japan off this list, especially Osaka and everything to its east (again, tours will frequently cover this), but you can reasonably hit some of the below in a standard Tokyo-Kyoto trip rotation.

TOKYO
  • Kokufu-ten: The top bonsai exhibition in Japan, held annually in late January/February. 8-36 Uenokoen, Taito City, Tokyo 110-0007, Japan
  • Shuga-ten: A medium-sized exhibition focused on shohin bonsai. Held annually in early November at the Ueno Green Club. 3-42 Uenokoen, Taito City, Tokyo 110-0007, Japan
  • Satsuki Festival: An exhibition focused on Satsuki trees and held annually in late May/early June. Same exhibition area as Shuga-ten^
  • Shunkaen Bonsai Museum: A well-known bonsai museum in the eastern part of Tokyo. 1 Chome-29-16 Niihori, Edogawa City, Tokyo 132-0001, Japan
  • Omiya Bonsai Village: a cluster of bonsai gardens and collections of leading artists in Saitama. (1 hour by train from city center). Bonsaicho, Kita Ward, Saitama, 331-0805, Japan
    • Omiya Grand Bonsai Festival is held annually in the village, usually in early May. All gardens below are within ~10 min walking distance of each other
    • Omiya Bonsai Museum: Bonsaichō, Kita Ward, Saitama, 331-0805, Japan. Similar size to our National Bonsai and Penjing Museum. Restaurants are scarce in the area, but there's a bonsai-themed restaurant next to this
    • Fuyo-en (芙蓉園): 95-1 Bonsaichō, Kita Ward, Saitama, 331-0805, Japan. For those who admire Koyo pots, many of his works were commissioned for this garden and have a unique stamp/signature
    • Toju-en (藤樹園): 247 Bonsaichō, Kita Ward, Saitama, 331-0805, Japan
    • Seiko-en (清香園): 268 Bonsaichō, Kita Ward, Saitama, 331-0805, Japan
    • Mansei-en (蔓青園): 285 Bonsaichō, Kita Ward, Saitama, 331-0805, Japan
    • Kyuka-en (九霞園): 131 Bonsaichō, Kita Ward, Saitama, 331-0805, Japan
    • Shoto-en (松濤園): 112-4 Bonsaichō, Kita Ward, Saitama, 112-0011, Japan
  • Kimura Garden: 'The Magician' Kimura's bonsai garden. Komuro, Ina, Kitaadachi District, Saitama 362-0806, Japan. No public transit; car ride is an hour from city center
  • Uchigu-tei/"S-Cube" (雨竹亭 羽生本店): Seiji Morimae's bonsai garden and expansive shop. 474-1 Kitaogishima, Hanyu City, Saitama 348-0015, Japan. Even further out than Kimura, another 30 minutes north by car
    • If you're staying in the city, Uchigutei's small branch shop, Ginza Uchikuan in the Ginza shopping district, is much more accessible. Japan, 〒104-0061 Tokyo, Chuo City, Ginza, 7 Chome−9−10 銀七ビル
KYOTO
  • Taikan-ten: The next biggest bonsai exhibition in Japan, held annually in late November. Held at the Miyako Messe Exhibition Center. 9-1 Okazaki Seishojicho, Sakyo Ward, Kyoto, 606-8343, Japan
  • Gafu-ten: The top shohin bonsai exhibition in Japan, held annually in mid-January. Same exhibition center as Taikan-ten^
  • Koju-en (広樹園): well-known shohin garden. 19 Karahashi Isonocho, Minami Ward, Kyoto, 601-8462, Japan
  • Eisei-en (opening sometime in 2025): Bjorn Bjorholm's relocated garden. Location unknown for now
NAGOYA
Note: Nagoya is conveniently located 30 minutes by train from Kyoto and is en route from Tokyo to Kyoto/Kyoto to Tokyo.
  • Meifu-ten: Fairly large bonsai show, held annually in late January. Held at Fukiage Hall. 2 Chome-6-3 Fukiage, Chikusa Ward, Nagoya, Aichi 464-0856, Japan
  • Tokai Miyabi-ten: Relatively young shohin exhibition, held annually (?) in late February. 3527 Kamoitai Site, Yamada-cho, Nishi-ku, Nagoya, Japan, OR Japan, 〒452-0821 Aichi, Nagoya, Nishi Ward, Kamiotai, 2 Chome−78 山田コミュニティーセンター
  • Aichi-en (愛知園): garden of artist Sukijiro Tanaka, known for training several foreign students such as Peter Tea. 2 Chome Marukomecho, Nakagawa Ward, Nagoya, Aichi 454-0834, Japan
NAGOYA PART II: TOKONAME
Note 1: Tokoname is a 45-minute train ride from Nagoya. It's difficult to traverse since there's no public transit in the area; if you can't walk 30+ minutes one-way to certain areas such as Marutatu, you'll need a reliable cab/taxi. Bring a suitcase to store pots
Note 2: The kilns are all managed by 4th to 5th generation potters at this point. Many don't speak English and an advance notice is recommended.
  • Marutatu Isomura Shoten (磯村商店): Located in Ceramall - Tokoname's 'mini-mall' for ceramic wares - this shop and warehouse carries pots from many Tokoname artists, including discontinued kilns. Kamisuhara-110 Kanayama, Tokoname, Aichi 479-0003, Japan
  • Tokoname Kilns and Footpath: The Tokoname area has outstanding ceramics of all sorts, not just bonsai pots - tea pots, dishware, etc. The footpath (take path B for bonsai pots) starts at Sakaemachi, Tokoname, Aichi 479-0836, Japan
    • Yamafusa (山房, 山房鯉江製陶所): 7 Chome-137 Sakaemachi, Tokoname, Aichi 479-0836, Japan
    • Yamaaki (山秋, 山秋製陶所): 3-chōme-64 Honmachi, Tokoname, Aichi 479-0829, Japan
    • Kakuzan (角山, 角山陶苑): 3 Chome-116 Sakaemachi, Tokoname, Aichi 479-0836, Japan
    • Shuuhou (秀峰, 義村陶園): 2 Chome-43 Segicho, Tokoname, Aichi 479-0821, Japan
    • Koyo (鴻陽, 鴻陽陶園): 2 Chome-56 Haramatsucho, Tokoname, Aichi 479-0832, Japan. You can contact Koyo Toen here: https://www.bonsai-pot.com/お問い合わせ/
    • Other kilns are in the area, such as Ikko, but I haven't yet found their addresses
    • I tried finding the Gyouzan and Bigei kilns, but both have shut down
Feel free to chime in and comment based on your own experiences. If you have further questions or want to dig deeper into any one of these bullets, look them up on Bonsai Tonight, Bill Valavanis' blog, and Bonsai Empire. I'll be updating this list as I find more information and after visiting many of these locations later this year.

I have nothing to add but want to compliment you on this. 👍

Hope other can chime in with more info

I'm trying to compile everything in Japan worth visiting for bonsai enthusiasts, WITH ADDRESSES, in this thread. I've looked high and low for that component and didn't get anywhere, so I decided to create my own for planning purposes and dropped most of it here. For those visiting Japan solely for bonsai for the first time, I would strongly recommend joining a tour, such as those that Bill Valavanis hosts (you'll have more enriching conversations with a translator, access to expert familiarity, and tour groups often get discount prices while shopping for pots). This list is for those who want to make a few bonsai detours from an already-planned trip to Japan, cannot accommodate tours schedule-wise, want to build their own itinerary, can only visit a few areas, etc.

I fall under one of those categories, since the main reason I'm visiting Japan is tragically not for its bonsai scene. Though I'm more than willing to make a few detours, I found it took hours of digging and drawing Japanese characters in online kanji decipherers to pinpoint exact locations for many of these POIs. All addresses below can be copy-pasted into Google Maps for directions. I've left about a third of Japan off this list, especially Osaka and everything to its east (again, tours will frequently cover this), but you can reasonably hit some of the below in a standard Tokyo-Kyoto trip rotation.

TOKYO
  • Kokufu-ten: The top bonsai exhibition in Japan, held annually in late January/February. 8-36 Uenokoen, Taito City, Tokyo 110-0007, Japan
  • Shuga-ten: A medium-sized exhibition focused on shohin bonsai. Held annually in early November at the Ueno Green Club. 3-42 Uenokoen, Taito City, Tokyo 110-0007, Japan
  • Satsuki Festival: An exhibition focused on Satsuki trees and held annually in late May/early June. Same exhibition area as Shuga-ten^
  • Shunkaen Bonsai Museum: A well-known bonsai museum in the eastern part of Tokyo. 1 Chome-29-16 Niihori, Edogawa City, Tokyo 132-0001, Japan
  • Omiya Bonsai Village: a cluster of bonsai gardens and collections of leading artists in Saitama. (1 hour by train from city center). Bonsaicho, Kita Ward, Saitama, 331-0805, Japan
    • Omiya Grand Bonsai Festival is held annually in the village, usually in early May. All gardens below are within ~10 min walking distance of each other
    • Omiya Bonsai Museum: Bonsaichō, Kita Ward, Saitama, 331-0805, Japan. Similar size to our National Bonsai and Penjing Museum. Restaurants are scarce in the area, but there's a bonsai-themed restaurant next to this
    • Fuyo-en (芙蓉園): 95-1 Bonsaichō, Kita Ward, Saitama, 331-0805, Japan. For those who admire Koyo pots, many of his works were commissioned for this garden and have a unique stamp/signature
    • Toju-en (藤樹園): 247 Bonsaichō, Kita Ward, Saitama, 331-0805, Japan
    • Seiko-en (清香園): 268 Bonsaichō, Kita Ward, Saitama, 331-0805, Japan
    • Mansei-en (蔓青園): 285 Bonsaichō, Kita Ward, Saitama, 331-0805, Japan
    • Kyuka-en (九霞園): 131 Bonsaichō, Kita Ward, Saitama, 331-0805, Japan
    • Shoto-en (松濤園): 112-4 Bonsaichō, Kita Ward, Saitama, 112-0011, Japan
  • Kimura Garden: 'The Magician' Kimura's bonsai garden. Komuro, Ina, Kitaadachi District, Saitama 362-0806, Japan. No public transit; car ride is an hour from city center
  • Uchigu-tei/"S-Cube" (雨竹亭 羽生本店): Seiji Morimae's bonsai garden and expansive shop. 474-1 Kitaogishima, Hanyu City, Saitama 348-0015, Japan. Even further out than Kimura, another 30 minutes north by car
    • If you're staying in the city, Uchigutei's small branch shop, Ginza Uchikuan in the Ginza shopping district, is much more accessible. Japan, 〒104-0061 Tokyo, Chuo City, Ginza, 7 Chome−9−10 銀七ビル
KYOTO
  • Taikan-ten: The next biggest bonsai exhibition in Japan, held annually in late November. Held at the Miyako Messe Exhibition Center. 9-1 Okazaki Seishojicho, Sakyo Ward, Kyoto, 606-8343, Japan
  • Gafu-ten: The top shohin bonsai exhibition in Japan, held annually in mid-January. Same exhibition center as Taikan-ten^
  • Koju-en (広樹園): well-known shohin garden. 19 Karahashi Isonocho, Minami Ward, Kyoto, 601-8462, Japan
  • Eisei-en (opening sometime in 2025): Bjorn Bjorholm's relocated garden. Location unknown for now
NAGOYA
Note: Nagoya is conveniently located 30 minutes by train from Kyoto and is en route from Tokyo to Kyoto/Kyoto to Tokyo.
  • Meifu-ten: Fairly large bonsai show, held annually in late January. Held at Fukiage Hall. 2 Chome-6-3 Fukiage, Chikusa Ward, Nagoya, Aichi 464-0856, Japan
  • Tokai Miyabi-ten: Relatively young shohin exhibition, held annually (?) in late February. 3527 Kamoitai Site, Yamada-cho, Nishi-ku, Nagoya, Japan, OR Japan, 〒452-0821 Aichi, Nagoya, Nishi Ward, Kamiotai, 2 Chome−78 山田コミュニティーセンター
  • Aichi-en (愛知園): garden of artist Sukijiro Tanaka, known for training several foreign students such as Peter Tea. 2 Chome Marukomecho, Nakagawa Ward, Nagoya, Aichi 454-0834, Japan
NAGOYA PART II: TOKONAME
Note 1: Tokoname is a 45-minute train ride from Nagoya. It's difficult to traverse since there's no public transit in the area; if you can't walk 30+ minutes one-way to certain areas such as Marutatu, you'll need a reliable cab/taxi. Bring a suitcase to store pots
Note 2: The kilns are all managed by 4th to 5th generation potters at this point. Many don't speak English and an advance notice is recommended.
  • Marutatu Isomura Shoten (磯村商店): Located in Ceramall - Tokoname's 'mini-mall' for ceramic wares - this shop and warehouse carries pots from many Tokoname artists, including discontinued kilns. Kamisuhara-110 Kanayama, Tokoname, Aichi 479-0003, Japan
  • Tokoname Kilns and Footpath: The Tokoname area has outstanding ceramics of all sorts, not just bonsai pots - tea pots, dishware, etc. The footpath (take path B for bonsai pots) starts at Sakaemachi, Tokoname, Aichi 479-0836, Japan
    • Yamafusa (山房, 山房鯉江製陶所): 7 Chome-137 Sakaemachi, Tokoname, Aichi 479-0836, Japan
    • Yamaaki (山秋, 山秋製陶所): 3-chōme-64 Honmachi, Tokoname, Aichi 479-0829, Japan
    • Kakuzan (角山, 角山陶苑): 3 Chome-116 Sakaemachi, Tokoname, Aichi 479-0836, Japan
    • Shuuhou (秀峰, 義村陶園): 2 Chome-43 Segicho, Tokoname, Aichi 479-0821, Japan
    • Koyo (鴻陽, 鴻陽陶園): 2 Chome-56 Haramatsucho, Tokoname, Aichi 479-0832, Japan. You can contact Koyo Toen here: https://www.bonsai-pot.com/お問い合わせ/
    • Other kilns are in the area, such as Ikko, but I haven't yet found their addresses
    • I tried finding the Gyouzan and Bigei kilns, but both have shut down
Feel free to chime in and comment based on your own experiences. If you have further questions or want to dig deeper into any one of these bullets, look them up on Bonsai Tonight, Bill Valavanis' blog, and Bonsai Empire. I'll be updating this list as I find more information and after visiting many of these locations later this year.
@WEI

Thank you so much for all this AMAZING info! I know this took some serious work compiling this. Truly appreciate the time you took. I'll be going back to Japan early next year, and this will be a huge help.

I had no idea Gyouzan had closed down. Are they done making pots? Is the shutdown temporary?

Just a note that you can't just show up a Kimura's garden and walk in. You need to have a connection to get an appointment. The owner of the bonsai Cafe across the street from the Omiya Bonsai Museum can get you an appointment if you contact him ahead of time and he will translate for you since Kimura doesn't speak any English

Ueno green club, Tokyo, sells pots and trees, only open certain days of the week I think

Last edited:
Cool compilation!

You are missing the Kyoto Bonsai Garden of the Daitokuji Temple complex, amazing collection.

55 Murasakino Daitokujicho, Kita Ward, Kyoto, 603-8231, Japan

Maybe you just haven't got to it yet, but Kagawa in Shikoku is the absolute mecca for conifers in general and especially field grown pines.
There have to be a dozen gardens and other facilities in and around Takamatsu alone. Unlike the Tokyo area, Shikoku would really benefit from some tourism.

Also, in addition to the Omiya area, Kawaguchi probably has as many, if not more gardens and arguably better access to the areas tourists stay.

盆栽 秋元園芸 - Bonsai Akimoto Engei​

小品盆栽のやじま園 - Yajima-en​

And many many others. Now that I did a quick search I'm quite sure in terms of number of gardens and trees there are far more in Kawaguchi than Omiya

Another worthwhile stop in Tokyo is

小品盆栽 季の風 - Shohin Bonsai Ki-no-Kaze​

This place specializes in mini/mame/shohin sizes, and has a pretty impressive selection of rare antique pots.

I'm probably missing a bunch of great places, but that's what I've got of the top of my head.

Cool compilation!

You are missing the Kyoto Bonsai Garden of the Daitokuji Temple complex, amazing collection.

55 Murasakino Daitokujicho, Kita Ward, Kyoto, 603-8231, Japan
Agree on the Daitokuji collection. While in the temple complex also see some of the other subtemples that have amazing gardens, but no bonsai. Plan a day

Back
Top Bottom