Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Sheesh... :p I meant for paste...

Putty style: http://www.dallasbonsai.com/product-p/c76.htm

Paste style: http://www.dallasbonsai.com/product-p/c75.htm

Usually I use the paste style to seal over big cuts. It works so well to create a barrier. It's easy to apply, dries like rubber, and can be removed. Not messy...love this stuff.

The putty style is what I usually use to fill deeper holes, small cuts, and around the edge of a callus when I re-cut it. Today, I just used putty for everything.

Dirty Nails

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Good thread Brian. I have 8 tridents starting year 3 and it is crazy how fast they grow and thicken. I love the nebari you develop on yours. Do you plant them on top of somthing or is it more a matter of correct depth of planting and pruning?

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Fall '13 Update

Hard to believe that little side branch bolted the way it did this year. Will chop it short again in the spring.

Photos are from about May, August, and October...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 1,152
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 1,130
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 1,176

AboveBeyond

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hard to believe that little side branch bolted the way it did this year. Will chop it short again in the spring.

Photos are from about May, August, and October...

Wow, that's some serious growth! Why are you chopping it short again?

Ris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Hi Brian,
I bought a trident this year to follow how and what your doing with your tree in ground.
A suggestion if you don't mined, with the leader being a sacrifice branch would it be productive to put movement in the lower part close to trunk for a future tree/airlayer? This is only after the leader has reached its diameter to create a tapered trunk line, then instead of cutting of, airlayer that branch which would now have movement for another potential tree.
Just a humble idea.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Definitely a good idea Ris, it's always tough to saw off big limbs that have served their purpose.

It would have been necessary to do the layer this year on this sacrifice branch. I'm concerned leaving it on another year will likely destroy what little taper it now has.

Ris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Hello Brian,
Am not sure for now (October) to set a airlayer not raped with plastic but with a cut down nursery pot, with the soil being soft(perlite&akadama dust) and just before the buds open do the chop. The trick is to ensure no movement within the pot but then again the branch would be in the bin or used for large cuttings?? Win lose situation.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Spring choppin' time

Maples are starting to move a little, so I decided to make another chop on this one. I'm hoping for a little better movement in the next section, but if I don't get it, the last photo shows a decent front alternative with a good base and taper. In a week or so, I'll dig it up and work the roots as well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 1,097
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 951
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 913
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 966
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 1,096

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks pretty awesome ,man.Has come far from a 3 year cutting.Hope this works well for you.Makes me wanna' try a trident,same thing like maybe buy an Evergreens rough bark one.Can a trident cutting ,say a couple years old handle 27 degrees?, cause' that is what it would have to withstand in my storage till' I could get it big enough to plant in the earth.

EricL

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Wow this is great! Thank you for documenting all of this progress Brian. This is the kind of things I hope to do someday. Love it!

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Damn what I would give for 10 minutes with a shovel in BVF's growing bed!
Thanks all...some fun stuff is coming along in there!
EricL...I was born and raised in IA, Waterloo and ISU.

EricL

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Haha wow that's pretty crazy. I am currently an undergraduate at ISU majoring in Animal Ecology. Small world we live in.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Haha wow that's pretty crazy. I am currently an undergraduate at ISU majoring in Animal Ecology. Small world we live in.
You may know, but in case not, DaSu Studios is in Kelley, just a few miles south of Ames. Dave's a good guy, if not a bit eccentric. He makes good pots and stands, and has a large inventory that is like the American Picker's version of a bonsai nursery. You'd just have to go there to experience it.

My friend Gary Wood, a member here, is the curator for the collection at the Iowa Botanical Center in DSM. I understand the collection is improving all the time, and he'll be there soon to work on the trees. If you're serious, send him a PM and see if you can observe one day.

EricL

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I actually got my tree as a gift from Dasu, and then a few days later went there myself to check it out and ask some questions. Beautiful place overall, and I was glad to see so many styles that were in great shape. Dave does seem like a great guy, and even gave me insight on the Iowa Bonsai Association meetings! :eek:

And that sounds great! I will surely PM him to get something figured out, hopefully I can manage around my coursework. Thank you!

Top Bottom