Template for bonsai record keeping

Shinjuku

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It's the beginning of a new year, and maybe I'm not the only one who has "Better record keeping of my trees" as a new year resolution.

Jason Crump has created what seems to be very nice online record keeping software, but I'm old school sometimes. I wanted something simple and easy, or else it would just be a chore to keep good records. I also wanted something pen-and-paper based, so I created my own template for record keeping. Here's a picture.

Bonsai Record Template - Sample.png

The idea is that I'll print out one template per tree, and put them all into a binder or folder. Then I'll alphabetize the papers by botanical name. Each sheet of paper will last for 10 years. Here's how I see it working.
  • At the top, I'll write down all the background information about the tree.
  • Then each month, starting in the first column, I'll write letters down to record what I did. In the picture, for example, I recorded a Repot in February. Then in March, I began to Fertilize and applied Wire. In April, I just Fertilized. In June, I recorded Fertilizer, Unwiring, and Soft Pruning. Etc.
  • Then at the end of each year at the bottom, I can record the height, caliper, and spread.
  • I'll repeat in each column with one column per year.
I think this will give me what I want: Something simple, relatively thorough, and paper-based. I thought I'd share a PDF of the template in case other folks might find it useful. If anyone has any ideas to make it better, I'd love to read them.

Attachments

As someone who likes cataloging and such, I really like your template and idea. My only recommendation would be to maybe reduce the years to 3 or 4 (you can always just print another paper) and use the extra space to maybe include a section for comments - maybe where tree was wintered / pest damage / positive negative reactions to care / etc.

This is a good template for beginners too... they can research when to do what for the species and take notes during slow months and plan out their care for the future.

And here I was writing in a notebook! I may adopt!

I like it. Thanks

I am glad this is for reality.
I was talking to a University student who hacked an on-line
algorithum [ spelling ? ] and is making money on someone else's
research.

We use the easily available black backed white paged books.
Easy for writing notes or drawing ideas.

Beware on-line theft, research sells.
Good Day
Anthony

As someone who likes cataloging and such, I really like your template and idea. My only recommendation would be to maybe reduce the years to 3 or 4 (you can always just print another paper) and use the extra space to maybe include a section for comments!

Here's a modified version with 3 years instead of 10. It has more space to add a few compact notes on a monthly basis. Maybe it will help other people too.

Attachments

Here's a modified version with 3 years instead of 10. It has more space to add a few compact notes on a monthly basis. Maybe it will help other people too.

Yes! I like this a lot. I'd be happy just to get keep a tree alive three years at this point!

First of all, thank you very much.
it will surely help a lot.
I am tired of keeping notes and pictures of my trees in apps that fail, never get updated or else.
Paper is always better.

i like that template OP..

Someone on here has been working on a website thats similar...

Bonsaibug.com
pretty good, but there was no way for me to pull my info ofline.

@Shinjuku Forgive me but I am a non native English speaker, so...
By "Calliper" you mean the thickness of the trunk at the base?
By "Spread" you mean the diameter of the tree view from above?
Thanks and sorry to bother with these stupid questions.
;-)

@Shinjuku Forgive me but I am a non native English speaker, so...
By "Calliper" you mean the thickness of the trunk at the base?
By "Spread" you mean the diameter of the tree view from above?
Thanks and sorry to bother with these stupid questions.
;-)

Yes, that’s exactly what I meant. Happy to help.

I love the record keeping form as well. the Dates are outdated. I am trying to get our bonsai society to start record keeping. Has anyone updated this form? I'd like to send a link to have them join the BonsoiNut and download the form. I was going to rint it out and distribute it in our meeting, but it green. Thanks

Probably a good idea for those with the discipline to stick to it. As for me, posting occasional pictures and notes on what I did to my progression threads on BNut is all the record keeping I can be bothered to do.

posting occasional pictures

Pic - Prune

Pic - Prune

Pic - Prune

Once you remember to take a pic first, the Before, the after comes naturally, always posting them on the same day, or with a work day note makes referencing everything so easy.

But imagine if every tree was posted Before work! Mad better trees.

One of my favorite trees was made by a suggestion here.

Pic-Post...maybe prune!

Sorce

Pic - Prune

Pic - Prune

Pic - Prune

Once you remember to take a pic first, the Before, the after comes naturally, always posting them on the same day, or with a work day note makes referencing everything so easy.

But imagine if every tree was posted Before work! Mad better trees.

One of my favorite trees was made by a suggestion here.

Pic-Post...maybe prune!

Sorce
Sorce,

How often do you tend to take pics? Spring, Summer, Fall
Or are you deliberate... Before prune spring, after prune spring, etc?
Or do you just take them when they impress you in one way or the other... Spring Colors, fall colors? Etc.

Certainly before and after any work.

During any change, spring, fall, winter, etc.

Sorce

Back
Top Bottom