Taxus Resource Thread

Reaction score
I start protect at temperatures below -7 degrees, i heart lots off story's of trees frozen to dead at -15. (depends on a couple off things, i had one myself) I spoke a lot of european bonsai pro's about yew. They say protect them when temperatures drop far below zero. Better be save.

BE.REAL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@just.wing.it can you reed this link in google translate (or something like that)?
http://www.bonsaikunst.nl/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=179&Itemid=46
This one really helped me collecting yew
Hello, I jumped on the band wagon and went to that site, WOW, 4 hours went by before I looked up from reading. There is a lot of good info, and I like his direct approach, to thee point is always best in my book So thank you, and also im learning a new language, translation says dutch, so that's always a bonus, haha.

I got a large Landscape yew from a pile left from a contstruction job, I am currently working on it, to bring it to vigor, I would be great if it did. The roots were in clay basically, but its been a few weeks now, some yellowing and a few dead branches, but we shall see. any advice is welcome. I basically bare rooted it and now in 80% pumice, its sitting under a large yard tree with shade, I mist it , some fish emulsion, and watering, I didn't trim many roots, except the fatty's, and actually some 2-3 foot finer roots, I circled in the larger grow pot.
Im nervous about the trunk, 3-5 wide at base, but the cons. crew had peeled a good bit of bark, been wondering if I should cover or let it go, or Pet. jelly. cut paste, alum. foil tape, or some other idea, im open?
thanks to all and again for the site, good stuff/

Josiana

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I purchased this taxus at a village market yesterday. Really excited about it!

What do Yew think? It's fairly vertical. I'd certainly like to sort that. And obviously I'd like it to grow a bit more. Cannot put it the ground or a slip pot just now, because of the drought we are having.

602ADB4D-5CB7-4388-83DE-7388D48A155D.jpeg

szelelaci

Mame
Reaction score
Hi,
Nice thread, useful info here!
I acquired a yew with nice trunk and taper. It was collected by a friend but was neglected and wasn't worked on at all, so the branching was awful. Made a mistake a year ago in the spring and repotted and also cut back really hard. I hoped for strong budding on the trunk to rebuild the branch structure, but nothing happened; top part died (was too straight anyways..) and only the two branches were left intact grew somewhat.
This is how it looks now. The first branch is quite vigorous, the second looks promising too. The left side is dead which I don't mind it will look cool once carved. However this makes quite problematic to have some foliage on the left side. My plan is to bend the top branch to the left and build a spherical top which fills the top left side above the jin.
But...
I still want that backbudding to have more than 2 branches... 😁
What should I do to make the tree pop some buds on the trunk? I was thinking letting it grow this summer to regain its strength, and cutting it back before autumn. Is there any tipp or trick to add to this?
Also what do you think, is there hope? 😊

Attachments

• yew_1.jpg
    yew_1.jpg
    331.7 KB · Views: 12
  • yew_2.jpg
    yew_2.jpg
    338 KB · Views: 7
  • yew_3.jpg
    yew_3.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 6
  • yew_4.jpg
    yew_4.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 6
  • yew_5.jpg
    yew_5.jpg
    356 KB · Views: 12

Javaman4373

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Many years ago my sister-in-law was removing a yew from her foundation plantings and I transplanted it to in front of our horse barn. It grew happily there and i decided to make an air layer off of it to start a bonsai tree. It took 2 years to get roots in the air layer. When I separated it, I chopped off the top and screwed the base into a board, wrapped the sphagnum moss with young roots in a little burlap and put it into a pot surrounded by bonsai soil. For the winter I kept it in a cool part of the basement (temps 45 to 52) under grow lights. Its first winter after separation it flowered in March, it is a male. It spent the next summer outside and back into the basement for the winter again. And again it flowered in March. The parent plant outdoors has never flowered. I assume the stress of the air layer process induced the flowering. It is now outside again for its second growing season and putting out new growth. I have been making some attempts at carving the chop and I plan to just let it grow.

Attachments

• yew a.jpg
    yew a.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 9
  • yew b.jpg
    yew b.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 9
Top Bottom