Taxus collected last spring

Jimdavis

Sapling
Reaction score
Hey @just.wing.it here's the taxus thread you asked for. still gonna be a year or two before I thinks she's ready to carve. But it's a blank canvis when I do. These pics are from last spring . I'll get fresh pictures tommrow. I put it in some better soil and a training box last week. Last year when I pulled it I was down to slim pickings on the soil I had left and the blend I made wasn't draining as well as I'd like. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've got some massive guys in my front yard. My girlfriend wants them gone.... My biggest concern is that the roots will be a mile from the trunk

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Hey @just.wing.it here's the taxus thread you asked for. still gonna be a year or two before I thinks she's ready to carve. But it's a blank canvis when I do. These pics are from last spring . I'll get fresh pictures tommrow. I put it in some better soil and a training box last week. Last year when I pulled it I was down to slim pickings on the soil I had left and the blend I made wasn't draining as well as I'd like. View attachment 137976View attachment 137977View attachment 137978View attachment 137979
I wouldn't carve yet. You hardly have any foliage on it. I don't know where you are but if this were mine, I'd give it lots of sun and water and feed the heck out of it. Let it get healthy and bud back so you have more options for styling down the road.

Jimdavis

Sapling
Reaction score
@Dav4 i agree that's why I said I'm thinking at least 2 Seasons of growth before I carve. I need them nice and healthy before I go to town

Jimdavis

Sapling
Reaction score
@GGB the 4 that I've dug up have all had a good amount of fleshy roots right up near the base. It might have been the tight clayish soil they were in but I've heard it's in there nature to do this. Also there pretty fragile.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I've got some massive guys in my front yard. My girlfriend wants them gone.... My biggest concern is that the roots will be a mile from the trunk
None of my business but your girl friend is dictating what she want done in you property? Wait till she doesn't like the fact that you have taken up half the back yard for you bonsai hobby.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
the roots will be a mile from the trunk

I've collected 2.

The first one was about 5 years at site, and still wobbled with the roots mostly still within the space that was once the pot.

The second was about 40 years on site, and though a lot of roots were large and ran, it still had a nice feeder ball close.

The damp needle mulched shade beneath them tends to grow nice close roots.

Nice @Jimdavis this one looks like mine!

Sorce

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
@Dav4 i agree that's why I said I'm thinking at least 2 Seasons of growth before I carve. I need them nice and healthy before I go to town
I should have been more specific in my comments. I think you need more foliage lower down on the trunk before carving. To accomplish that, you've got to really pump up the existing foliage then cut back hard, and I think this will take more then a year or two. I've grown on yew stumps for 7-8 years before I thought they were ready to be worked, just waiting to get the foliage in the right places.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Cool, maybe I'll trench around them. And @Vance Wood I'm happy to oblige her, she bought the house for me and gave me full reign of the fenced in backyard. AND she's a good cook

Top Bottom